The Planted Tank Forum banner

how to get taiwan moss to become bright green?

3077 3
I just received a few golfballs of taiwan moss, but it's all pretty dark green. Some strands are greyish brown.

How do I get it to become a brighter green, and how long will it take? Also, are the greyish brown strands 100% dead, or is that capable of reviving?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Cooler temps (mid 70's), some ferts, and maybe some CO2, though I've grown it pretty lush without it IME.

The brown moss was most likely shaded under the rest of the taiwan moss. My moss turned brown when I accidentally left it in an H2O2 dip for too long to kill some bba. The brown stuff might sprout new fronds depending on the conditions. It took a while but my moss eventually recovered. I find taiwan moss will stay dead if it turns brownish-black.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
If you can get it cooler, go for it. Most mosses do better in cool water. Though mid 70's should suffice. I get my best growth during the winter when my tank stays around 74-75. Though it's kinda hard keeping the temps down during the summer and my moss has slowed down in growth due to the warmer water.

Edit: Forgot to mention, lighting can be low to high for taiwan moss. Growth will be much more rapid with higher light. However to prevent algae, a good steady source of CO2 and ferts will be needed. You can grow taiwan moss easily in lower light levels, and the growth will still be steady, but it won't be as fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.