The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks like staghorn. Try shortening your light-time down to 4 hrs per day. And then use an oral syringe and to spray liquid Carbon onto the algae. Let it sit for 2 minutes with the filtration turned off. I would Also recommend you to remove as much of it as you can by hand. After a couple of days with this treatment the algae will turn brownish and die.
Dont use more Carbon then reccomended daily dose for your aquarium to avoid more algae blooms.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Liquid carbon? I’ve never heard of that before. I just bought the algae fix from API hopefully that works. Thanks.

Another question. Does the blue night light count as like a normal type of light with the same type of rays?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Liquid carbon? I’ve never heard of that before. I just bought the algae fix from API hopefully that works. Thanks.

Another question. Does the blue night light count as like a normal type of light with the same type of rays?
API Algae Fix works great on all green hair algae. Not so much on staghorn or BBA. Has no effect on BGA of course cause that is a bacteria. Careful with the dosing, follow instructions, overdosing will harm fish. Any dose will kill shrimp so pull them out first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve got the same exact problem, trying out Seachem Flourish Excel and spot treating. It’s only been 2 days and I can see the staghorn algae turning red…I’m assuming that means it’s working

·
Registered
27 Posts

Algaefix killed 2 of my fishes so be careful I even lowered the reg dosage but my fishes were just overwhelmed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It started to kill it actually then I pulled a lot of it off. What about fish that eat that type of algae? Are there any?

·
Registered
67 Posts
SAEs supposedly eat it when they’re juveniles, but they stop as adults and grow pretty large.

Better to try and address the underlying problem. In the short term, I think amanos will eat it once it’s dead (i.e., when it turns pink) after spot treatment with excel or other glut or hydrogen peroxid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks like you have an answer now. But are there any of you who might know what is should do with my aquarium? If you go on my profile you can se a post with my plants and some white stuff on it…

1 - 9 of 9 Posts