The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These things have invaded my 10 gallon. They snuck in on some hygrophila kompakt. Any idea of what they are or how to get rid of them? I also have some shrimp in the tank so I need to be aware of any methods that might negatively affect them. Assassin snails, chemicals, what might work? Any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thing is they only get a few millimeters long. They don't continue growing past that. They're been around for about 2 months.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
they look like snails to me. An easy way to check/get rid of a lot is to throw a piece of lettuce in the tank with the lights off for a while, then yank the lettuce out and see.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Suck them up with a turkey baister, or scoop them with a small net.

Otherwise don't worry, snails eat the dead or dying matter.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm about 75% sure they are pond snails. They truly are harmless. They could actually be viewed as helpful as they eat some algae, detritus and uneaten food. YET, most people treat them like they are about as desirable as a combination of syphyllis and herpes.

If you don't over feed there numbers will decrease after the initial explosion. You can further control it by using the veggie captured method as above.

If you truly can't bear them, a single assassin snail will eventually work his/her way through them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts