The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently have discovered tiny little snails in my newly set up 10 gallon fire red shrimp tank. Since they are so tiny, I cannot exactly determine what kind of snails they are, but my my best guess would be ramshorn. My question is, how do I get rid of them without hurting the shrimp? So far every time I have seen one I have just reached in to the tank and crushed it with my fingers. However, since they can asexually reproduce, I don't know if this method will be very effective. My only hope would be crushing them before they are able reproduce. Thoughts? I really want to get rid of them as I have heard they eat plants.

·
Super Moderator
16,939 Posts
Ramshorn Snails require a mate to reproduce.

They do not eat plants. They're beneficial for your tank in that they clean up uneaten food and algae.

The best way to control them is not to overfeed. If you want to get rid of them, remove them as you see them or put a large piece of food near the front of the tank and remove them as they move to the food.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Ramshorn Snails require a mate to reproduce.

They do not eat plants. They're beneficial for your tank in that they clean up uneaten food and algae.

The best way to control them is not to overfeed. If you want to get rid of them, remove them as you see them or put a large piece of food near the front of the tank and remove them as they move to the food.

Totally agree. Why does it some no one has the love for snails. LOL Is is because your trying to go for a certain look? I'm happy when I see snails. They keep the tank clean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.