The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no clue how to rid myself of these in my shrimp tank and I'd like them gone ASAP. Just don't like to see them.

So questions:
1. Are they harmful to shrimp?
2. Are they harmful to plants?
3. What's the best way to rid myself of these pests?

·
Registered
887 Posts
+1 to all the above..

also cut back on the shrimp feedings.. thats why they are there.. too much food left over

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't know what the best way is, but another option is 'No Planaria '. I used it more for a hydra issue, and was amazed how many planaria came out of the substrate. Yuk! RCS were fine with the treatment, altho I did not do a full 3 day treatment.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Second what soothing shrimp said, Safe-guard 4, 8 in 1 dog dewormer, active ingredient fenbendazole.

I only used half of what he said and it works fantastic no worries with any fish, shrimp or plants.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
They make a toxin in their slime coat that paralyzes shrimp. Usually a shrimp is fast enough and healthy enough to dodge planaria, but when they're not, they'll be taken advantage of. It happens often enough for me to have seen it in my own tank, and for others to have experienced it too, so I'm guessing that yes it happens often.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Also, it happened in my tank a few weeks after I started using a feeding dish. I'm guessing they were hungry and looking for a meal... And shrimp was the only thing on the menu

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can get panacur tubes at any feed store for horses some are generic same active ingredient. It is a paste i took a half eraser heas amount and put in a bowl and added warm water to liquify it and put three drops in my 10 gal waited 1 day then 20% water change and it kills hydra as well and this was with crystal red shrimp and no harm to anything except the pests.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, the only thing is though, I live outside of the continental US so the amazon shipment if they do even ship here will be much longer and much more expensive.

This morning i check with the local pet stores and they dont carry anything besides the suspended version, so I made a call to the supplier. They also only get it in the suspension form and bottle it here, so no luck getting the powdered kind.

Given this, I've devised a strategy. I'm going to move most of the shrimp to a spare tank and then use the dewormer I bought called "Fenben 10" but at half the recommended dosage, as detailed in one of the links that was shared earlier on the page.

Thanks for the help thus far and I'll update with the results. Unless of course someone tells me that the suspending agent most likely used will be harmful to the flora or fauna in this tank.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts