The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my tanks is infested with these huge worm things. They stretched to over an inch long, and the largest ones are about 1/4 inches wide at the head. They are flat on one side and tend to hug/crawl against the glass or flat leaves. Their exposed side is rough and ribbed; they can't easily be squished. They are tough buggers.

I've already treated the tank for 3 days straight, 0.1g of fenbendazole per 10 gallons (this is a 11.4g tank) each day. I haven't even done a water change after treatment and they're still alive. Do I need to double/triple dose? Are there stronger meds? How harmful might these guys be to my ~10 corydoras pygmaeus in the tank? Will overdosing on meds hurt my fish? I would take all the cories out it possible before I decide to nuke the tank, but they are extremely difficult to catch. Help!

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely not a Planaria: https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...iGOOtiQKcmYHwCg&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1627&bih=998

Notice the head shape in the photo's "ALL" Planaria have that head shape.
http://www.planarians.org/ for more.

As for what it is exactly, I'm not sure but it looks like some sort of beetle larva? Not sure though.:confused1:

Some similarities:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...uAYGeiQKYoYH4Dw&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1627&bih=998
Yeah, not planaria, but also not beetle larva. Leech maybe? Some other worm thing?

When they stretch out, they become really flat. They also tend to scrunch up into a ball when disturbed, which is why in the picture of one on my finger, it doesn't look flat. They have these pretty powerful suckers on their fat ends that they use to hang on to things. They seem to move by attaching to something with their sucker, then using their thin ends to feel around before detaching and scooting one way.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
625 Posts
that is a leech. do you feed your fish blackworms by any chance? they usually have leaches in them. if you do, its a type that eats blackworms, but wont harm your fish. the strong sucker and your description of its movements are dead giveaways for a leech.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that is a leech. do you feed your fish blackworms by any chance? they usually have leaches in them. if you do, its a type that eats blackworms, but wont harm your fish. the strong sucker and your description of its movements are dead giveaways for a leech.
I've never fed blackworms before. I must have gotten them from plants bought from other people. Good to know that they don't harm fish, but they are an eyesore. Is there any way to get rid of them?

·
Registered
926 Posts
de-los will do it, believe I got some. let me know I can send you some if you want. its from fish pharmaceuticals.

·
Registered
625 Posts
if it didnt come from blackworms, it very well could be harmful to your fish. levamisole HCl will kill them.

·
Registered
153 Posts

THIS is a leech. They won't hurt your plants or fish. They dig around in the substrate eating fishy-poo. I know how you feel, though. I almost dropped one when I saw it for the first time. And your description fits them perfectly. I just left mine alone. I try to snag him with my planting tongs if I see him. Do that a few times and they stay away from the front glass... Have fun with it!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
When I was a kid, swimming in a pond, I used to find these things that looked like bumpy slugs. looked a lot like what you have in your pic from what I remember (this was like, decades ago...). Found one on my hand once, and after I pulled it off I started bleeding. :)

I've also seen leeches in aquariums, and in other places that looked nothing like that, or what you have.

But some of the descriptions, with the sucker, and the ridges (one of the defining characteristics of annelid worms) make it sound like a leech.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.