The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I recently added 10 juvees into my brand new 45gal. The tank cycled nicely and all params leveled out. Occasionaly I see a shrimp or two wondering about but dont see the others. I dont have a specific food for them at this moment and kinda drop a tad of spirlina flakes since they are the only ones living in it.
Am I not feeding them correctly? Whats the best was to get these guy to come out and attack a meal?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
What else is in the tank with them? They might feel scared.

Also 10 in that size tank I'm surprised you even see them! I had 20 originally in my 55g and never saw them. Now I see shrimp all the time, since that number has reached 100-200 lol...

-Andrew

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Probably they are fine. If you buy like 50 more, you probably will see them more often or you can just wait until your population explodes. Try feeding them some kind of sinking food in the front part of the tank, in just one spot.
watch if they come out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't know if it's just my shrimp or not but I have noticed mine are always out now in my tank since I have put in Salvinia minima, great floating plants. I think it gives them more of a sense of security. Before I had it in the tank a few would go around here and there but now they are out and about and the moss they use to hide under is pretty much ignored unless they are on the outside of it cleaning it.They also love to hang upside down on it and they will clean the roots.

PM me if your interested in going this route.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have way over 30 shrimp in my 58 community and I rarely see more than 4 at a time. Heck, I have 12 in my 10 gallon shrimp tank that is sparsely planted (for now) and I have a hard time counting them all.

Tommy

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi everyone,
I recently added 10 juvees into my brand new 45gal. The tank cycled nicely and all params leveled out. Occasionaly I see a shrimp or two wondering about but dont see the others. I dont have a specific food for them at this moment and kinda drop a tad of spirlina flakes since they are the only ones living in it.
Am I not feeding them correctly? Whats the best was to get these guy to come out and attack a meal?
After a recent water change (or in your case, a move), shrimp tend to speed up a moult cycle. During moults, they are pretty reclusive.

Give them a couple of weeks to get used to the new tank and they should be much more active, provided no fish are present.

Tom

·
Registered
223 Posts
Pete,
My guess is those cardinals will eat the baby shrimp and maybe killand try to eat the adults.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I noticed I wasnt seeing ANY shrimp roaming around. I decided to clean my filter and found 8 of the shrimp in there alive!
I guess the filter intake holes are still alittle too big. Im going to put some foam on the intake.

Even with feeding tetras will go after the shrimp?
Well thats a shame!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.