The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my first original 10g Aqueon aquarium that I purchased approx. 2 yrs. ago for a single betta. It came as a complete kit & I have made many mistakes with this tank, fish & plant care. This aquarium, however, always seems to have perfect water parameters, grows plants well and anything I've put in it (fish/snails) breeds prolifically. My problem & ? to this forum is that it is a very unsightly tank & I'd like to fix it if possible. As mentioned it was my FIRST tank that I "learned" on & I made many mistakes the worst being having used a magnet inside to clean the algae. All 4 sides were terribly scratched & the algae has imbedded itself in the etched glass. I have found NO way to get it clean again & it totally compromises the view into the aquarium - its downright ugly/frustrating! All I have in this tank at present are 5 Mystery snails of which 3-4 I'm planning to rehome. Might anyone have suggestions as to how I can get rid of the algae that has imbedded itself in the scratched glass?
Any help would be appreciated since I'd rather not get rid of the tank.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would think to really get at it, if possible, you would have to empty it. Then, maybe try some hydrogen peroxide soak, bleach, soft scrubbing, then acrylic polish? I am just guessing! There are many experts here who may have better ideas.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
As mentioned, you probably have to empty the tank and try to use hydrogen peroxide/bleach to get rid of the algae, particularly if the scratches are deep and not accessible with tools.

As for the scratches themselves, it is possible to buff them out, provided they are shallow (if your finger nail catches in the scratch, it is too deep and not worth the effort to buff out).

For glass, you usually use cerium oxide, along with a power buffer. It will require emptying the tank as well. That being said, since 10 gallon aquariums are fairly cheap, it might be easier to get a new one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wait for the $1/gallon sale at the big box store (or don't: Going rate is about $15 for a new 10g). Keep the old tank for a hospital tank, or to quarantine new fish before putting them in the main tank.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd have to agree with mfgann. For the amount of money you'll spend on supplies to properly buff & polish out the scratches and the time you'll spend doing so, might just be better to buy a new 10G.

If you look on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace you can often find used aquariums for free or cheap. Very common for people to buy 10-20G starter kits, after a few months the kids are bored with it or they decide they aren't into it and want to get rid of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.