The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I continue to have issues when performing water changes. I have lost many Amanao and Cherry shrimps to water changes over the years, and even some oto's (and maybe a few weakened fish).

My suspicion as to why:
I have a private well. My well has an external/above ground jet pump, and I have a small pressure tank. I have a python, where I take the water out of a shower head, with no aerator. When I put water back into the tank, it is extremely well oxygenated with many micro bubbles. This causes fish and shrimp to go looney during and after water changes. I have corrected this issue with success, by changing small amounts at a time, and letting 5 gallon buckets "off gas" overnight.... but I have a 75 gallon tank, and am long tired of the bucket brigade, has anyone solved a similar issue?

Filter on Immediately? filter off while the micro bubbles gas off? Never change water again, because what is the point, and my tank is extremely heavily planted? Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I have the same problem. What I do is stuff the hard plastic end of my python with a lot of filter floss. This effectively slows down the micro-bubbles, they combine into larger bubbles, and then these larger bubbles float to surface where they collapse into air. Easy fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.