The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to sell one of my Eheims, because it rattles a little. Wouldn't be such an issue but for the fact I need to sleep next to it, it's pretty inoffensive otherwise. Still, I've spent a great deal of time on these forums trying to figure out where the noise is coming from. I've finally concluded that it must be something to do with the scratches on the inside of the impeller chamber.

Now, I've already put this filter up on eBay and purchased another, but I'd still like to know whether it's possible to fix the scratches in the impeller housing. I recall having read somewhere before that it's possible, using epoxy or just superglue and then buffing it back with some very fine emery or wet and dry paper wrapped around a pencil. A bit fiddly, because it's all in a small space, but sounds doable.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this? The only problems I can see with it are that the chamber would be subject to a fair bit of abuse, so the resin would need to have a good bond, and be resistant to water (not a problem) and heat (maybe a problem). What would be the most appropriate choice?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Interesting DIY fix. I think I'd try a sanding drum on a dremel . Several grit and speed options, I think that might work. As for a filler Superglue gel might work. It's a bit easier to work with as you get a little "tooling" time. I don't think epoxy would grind down as nice???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.