The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am acquiring a tank that is 60 gallons, 49"l, 12"w, 24"h. I will have 2x54 T5 HO lighting and Flourish + Excel. Tetras (black skirt + serape), angelfish, rams (3x German Blue), and a BN pleco. There will be eco-complete and maybe potting soil (miracle gro).

I intend on driftwood, Cichlid stones, and a little cave.

But for the plants I am stumped. I want swords (for a South American type feel) for sure. For a carpeting plant I was thinking of Dwarf Pygmy Chains.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
My first suggestion is to use less light. You will have high light with that 2 x T5HO light. Next, you will need to add nitrates, phosphates, potassium as well as trace elements, which Flourish provides. See the fertilizing forum sticky on fertilizing methods. With that much light you will need CO2 instead of just Excel.

Sword plants are not a good choice for a tank with good lighting, and non-limiting fertilizing. They will quickly grow big enough to fill the whole tank.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Flourish and excel on a tank that large will get expensive after a while. I'm not sure if DIY yeast co2 is alright for a tank this large without doing weekly replacements, but it does beat Excel. If you still want to go with the excel route, check out other glutaraldehyde based products like cidex or metricide.

Click on the table for more information ::

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention that I am making a DIY CO2. Hoppy, I sort of want it to be a full tank, lush. Would you suggest any specific plants for the lighting?

Pinoy, that chart is mega helpful. Thank you. I will look into the supplements you mentioned.

Thank you all. :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Credit is due where it belongs, and that is Hoppy. He made the chart :proud: Check out his thread here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/105774-par-vs-distance-t5-t12-pc.html

I agree with Hopy, your Flourish alone isn't enough. Check out RootMedic/Pfertz for liquid ferts or Green Leaf Aquarium for dry ferts and co2. IMO and IME, EI method is the best and easiest way to dose fertilizers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Credit is due where it belongs, and that is Hoppy. He made the chart :proud: Check out his thread here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/105774-par-vs-distance-t5-t12-pc.html

I agree with Hopy, your Flourish alone isn't enough. Check out RootMedic/Pfertz for liquid ferts or Green Leaf Aquarium for dry ferts and co2. IMO and IME, EI method is the best and easiest way to dose fertilizers.
Pfertz looks good... but in the long run it may just be easier to buy a CO2 system.

The Green Lab "Complete Package" might be worth a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts