The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am wondering how to feed shrimp in a larger tanks, my tank tank is not that big, its a 20 gall long, but feeding is a little bit tricky. my substrate is a gravel medium size not a sand, a lot of times pellets sink into it,disapearing, and making a mess should I use a feeder? and since is a long tank, should I be using 2 feeders? not all shrimp can get to the food in 1 spot, any ideas? thnx

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
As long as you don't over-feed, I would assume it's fine to sprinkle some food throughout the tank and they will pick it up and eat it.

If you really want to, you can buy or make a feeding dish.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Use a feeding dish and a tube/pipe (large enough in diameter to allow the food to sink easily with a little vibration) and long enough to reach the dish and have the other end out of the water/tank. Put one end into the feeding dish and then drop food into the pipe outside of the water and remove once the food sinks and settles into the feeding dish.

Siphon out or use a turkey baster in reverse to remove uneaten food.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Shrimp will remove the food from the dish.
There are foods that don't dissolve quickly like SL-Aqua More Meat/Veg. You can also use powder foods or grind up the pellet food.
I don't use a dishes in any of my shrimp tanks, feed appropriate amounts and there is rarely any food to remove.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.