The Planted Tank Forum banner

How to eradicate Neon Tetra disease

5074 9
I seemed to have bought some infected Neon Tetras as my NTs have been acting strange and randomly dying despite near perfect water parameters. Last night one of my Rosy Tetras randomly died too. Other than sitting back and letting the strong survive is there anything else I can do? How do I completely eradicate the disease out of my tank?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long has the tank been running? Size? Parameters? Stock? Fish mis-shappen or crooked?
35g heavily planted, I had 5 Neon Tetras for a while and just added another 5 and that's when they started dying. The fish aren't misshapen or crooked but they're all hiding behind the driftwood and not showing interest in food.

pH: 7.2
KH: 120
GH: Soft
Nitrite: 0-20ppm
Nitrate: 0-.5ppm

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
First you need to positively ID the problem/disease.

Do the fish have any white patches on their body (milky white tissue), especially near their dorsal/saddle region or near their caudal peduncle (base of tail)? Can also have white patches near belly? Do the fish have exposed raw flesh with or without fungal growth (fuzzy, cottony growth. Not exactly sure if secondary infection or is a symptom of NTD itself, but is commonly present). Do any fish suddenly have crooked spines?

According to reports, fish with NTD die within a few days. And it is said there is NO known cure and only suggestions to separate fish showing symptoms (some say to euthanize the infected fish and disinfect EVERYTHING). But do some research as I have heard some people trying treatments to find a cure for NTD, but with very limited success. I think if anything might work it would be Kanamycin (found in Seachem KanaPlex) and Nitrofurazone (found in API Furan-2) used TOGETHER (yes this combo can be used in conjunction).

NTD symptoms are pretty similar to Columnaris. Using Kanamycin and Nitrofurazone treat Columnaris really well and if it's not NTD (again, symptoms are similar), then it would cure Columnaris if that is what they really had. Plus there are rather a broad spectrum med so they treat for a lot of things it might be. Whatever the disease, remove dead fish right away to prevent other fish from eating the infected dead fish so they don't contract the disease as well.

If none of the symptoms match NTD, then it's probably not NTD and could be some other disease, so a positive ID is needed to use the right, effective treatment.
So give more details on physical symptoms and unusual behavior.

EDIT: Just read your latest post. Fish with NTD don't have to have crooked spines, but the white patches are the main indicator of NTD (or possibly Columnaris). The hiding and not eating is different a sign they are pretty sick/in distress, but no indication of what disease exactly.

What's your ammonia level? If your water truly is good and the deaths are sudden upon introducing new fish, then it's most likely a disease, but there has to be some signs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd be more likely to look into col. Especially after the new additions. There are a few strains, one acts extremely fast and can wipe.out a tank over night. All that aside.. I've lost entire batches of neons In the first few days while older neons were fine.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Waterlife gave some good info, but as a guy who is battling the disease and has done a fair amount of educated research I'd give you a couple pointers.

First it doesn't have to and really seems unlikely a lot of the time to be a fast killer. Most NTDs I've seen even in stressed fish works over weeks/months before the fish die.

Stressed fish are far more likely to show disease, you may have the disease even in fish who appear completely healthy, the bodies immune system is just doing a great job holding the infection rate down.

The best thing you can do is cull cull cull.

Your description does not seem to fit NTD. Not saying it's not, but I'd sure bet against it based on what you are saying.

·
Registered
11,717 Posts
Columnaris starts on the outside of the fish, often in the dorsal area (alternate common name for this disease is Saddle Disease for the area where it shows up first). It is pretty obvious that it is on the outside. It is treatable, especially if you catch it early.

NTD is internal. It is affecting the muscles below the skin. Usually it does not start in the dorsal area. In Neon Tetras both the red and the blue areas can be affected, turning sort of blotchy white, and losing the red or blue. It is not treatable. VERY good reason for a quarantine tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.