The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know how to drill a aga aquarium and i have been searching for hours anybody with no luck. Anybody who knows a thread with detailed information and pictures please put the link here for me. Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
drilling a tank does not have to be difficult. i use the diamond tipped hole saws with a trickle of water. some use a dremel with diamond bits. if you want some detailed threads, check on reef central. us saltwater geeks drill tanks all the time!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I used the dremmel that I use to sand my dog's toenails to drill into my acrylic....looks great lol

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I am getting ready to do this myself for the first time. Here are a few links:

With Pix

Lots of Info

Inexpensive Diamond Bits

I have purchased Diamond Bits twice from the vendor above. They are shipped very quickly, but coming from Hong Kong--take 7-10 days to arrive. They are well worth the cost compared to others. I would suggest paying the extra for the PRO versions.

I purchased some glass at HD and have done some practicing. Its not hard, but takes a little practice--for me anyway. I haven't drilled a Tank yet, but I will be doing that very soon.

Just Google: Drilling Glass
There's plenty of info avaiable....

HTH

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
If possible drill from the inside of the tank. I know it can be difficult but if you get any breakout you want it on the outside, bulkheads seal on the inside. Look at the links to my drilled tanks below, may be something helpful there......DC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help

·
Registered
229 Posts
The part he drilled wasn't tempered, probably just the other panels. Tempered glass will explode when drilled.

bulkheads seal on the inside.
You can install a bulkhead in either direction, as long as the gasket is under the flange, not the nut.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The sticker just says "Tempered Glass Do Not Drill". As I explained in the other post--after looking it over: I think the Bottom and possibly/probably the sides are Tempered. But I didn't think the front and back were--so I started drilling realizing that it may shatter right away. Its was a Freebie tank, and I have no use for it without water--so, it gets drilled or shattered!

Tempered Glass can be Drilled--its just a very risky proposition. Something like 90% of the time it will shatter--and I assume that's under the Best Conditions. But it is Drillable......

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The reason that tempered glass can't be driller is that the surface is under tension. That's the hardening process. So drilling compromises the strength of the glass a lot more than with straight glass. Even if it doesn't shatter at the time of drilling, it will likely crack under stress later.

My AGA tank had that sticker on the bottom, but it specifically statest that only the bottom is tempered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts