The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am experiencing stunned growth in my 75 gal. high tech tank. I have tried a lot of things with no luck. I am using CSM+B from NilocG which only contains 0.8% Boron. I believe this might be the culprit so I want to try and dose some additional Boron to see if anything will change.
My problem is that I don't know what should I buy and how much should I dose?

Thanks a lot...

·
Planted Tanker
5,995 Posts
Zn is the most lacking thing in csmb, add some of that while you're at it. ;) "zinc sulfate monohydrate 35%' is what you'd need

A little more B doesnt hurt. Ludwigia specifically seem to appreciate it. You can use Borax, available in the detergent section at grocery stores/wal mart etc. Or Boric acid which you can find on amazon or e bay. Both are on the calculator at rotalabuttefly.com.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boron is an essential nutrient for plants, but the quantity needed is very, very small. Is there some reason you suspect boron specifically? I'm betting your problem lies elsewhere.
In this thread I was just looking for some guidance on how to dose Boron, what compound and how much etc. So if you want more details regarding my problem please look up this thread High Tech - Poor Plant Growth

If it's not Boron then it's a curse... I am tired :(

Zn is the most lacking thing in csmb, add some of that while you're at it. ;) "zinc sulfate monohydrate 35%' is what you'd need

A little more B doesnt hurt. Ludwigia specifically seem to appreciate it. You can use Borax, available in the detergent section at grocery stores/wal mart etc. Or Boric acid which you can find on amazon or e bay. Both are on the calculator at rotalabuttefly.com.
Thank you, I have purchased some H3BO3 on eBay, and waiting to be delivered. I will try that first and then will go from there. I never paid attention that Rotala can calculate Boron until Deana mentioned it in another thread, though I am not sure how much to add to not cause more damage.

I can with 99% confidence tell you that’s not your issue. Some details about the problems your having would help
You can look up this thread for more details into the issue. High Tech - Poor Plant Growth

·
Planted Tanker
5,995 Posts
Thank you, I have purchased some H3BO3 on eBay, and waiting to be delivered. I will try that first and then will go from there. I never paid attention that Rotala can calculate Boron until Deana mentioned it in another thread, though I am not sure how much to add to not cause more damage.
It really doesnt need much more B, an increase of 10%-20% should be enough to solve any issues

Zn needs doubling, or a little more, keep it close but slightly under B

Did anyone address Fe in the other thread? The edta in csmb isnt great if your PH is much above 6.5 for any length of time. Might need to supplement with dtpa, which has a higher PH threshhold, or gluconate, which absorbs rapidly but doesnt stick around long. Or both...

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
It really doesnt need much more B, an increase of 10%-20% should be enough to solve any issues

Zn needs doubling, or a little more, keep it close but slightly under B

Did anyone address Fe in the other thread? The edta in csmb isnt great if your PH is much above 6.5 for any length of time. Might need to supplement with dtpa, which has a higher PH threshhold, or gluconate, which absorbs rapidly but doesnt stick around long. Or both...
I said something about this another thread on this same topic.

One thing he mentioned there is that he has 0.11 ppm Boron in his tap.

My concern might be dosing too much rather than not enough. I've seen the effects of a Boron overdose and it can hit hard and fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts