The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Anybody have a nocturnal planted tank? I mean a tank which is pleasantly viewed at night (ie. moon-light). Looking for some ideas and inspiration.

What are some plants that would give a nice effect? I'm thinking of stems that can flow (ie. Rotala Wallichii) with the current. That way there's some movement since it will be hard to see. Anubias Coffeefolia would also be nice as the light shines into their large textured oily leaves.

For fish, what are some fish that are very active at night? I know for sure one is the Khuli Loach. Not sure of others.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Hmm....I guess it depends on whether the plants fluoresce, and whether you're using blue or white light. As well as how much light you'd be using.

I'd bet that any of the variegated plants would work well, since the change in shading would pop out more.

Most catfish are going to be nocturnal. Raphael cats definitely are. Look for species with big eyes relative to body size, or some sort of sensory organ (whiskers/barbells, feeler fins, etc.).

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I also like vibrant foreground plants like UG or elatine triandra which because they're bright green/yellow they always looked interesting at night.

I had 4 Royal blue LEDs that were part of a nightlight kit I bought for my LEDs, they were pretty bright, I ended up just using 2 and it gave a really nice effect.

Another thing that I think looks cool is instead of lighting the tank from the top with moonlights is if you frost the back glass and use a diffused light source behind the tank, it gives it that cool sunset effect and lets you see the shadow of the fish as they move around.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Not sure if this interests you, but I have a few LEDs that I put in my canopy (meant for a 20H fish only setup) that I run when the main light isn't on. Its not the blue night light that a lot of folks have, its just a small point source of white light that only very modestly lights the center section of the tank, causing a lot of shimmer and shadows. Looks really good (if I do say so myself) with my crypt balansae that drifts back and forth in that part of the tank. I like this approach over the nightlight approach.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use a light sensored LED night light that plugs into an outlet next to the tank. Its more of a focused light which swivels. When the lights go out that will come on, and gives a nice moon lit kind of glow to the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.