The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Finnex Planted+ for a Fluval Spec V, and I'm currently building a stand for it to hang from because it sits too close to the substrate and causes all sorts of messes. In the mean time, how can I dim the light? Is it best to just lower the photoperiod, or can I wrap a clear plastic wrap around it? It generates some heat, so I'm skeptical, but I've seen it done on certain lamps before.

Anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You could install a dimmer as recommended in a prior post, but that will be an issue if you ever need to return the unit.

The best thing I have found it to go to a place like Lowes or Home Depot, and in the lighting section of the store, get a translucent plastic sheet. Usually they are about 2 x 4 feet in size. You can cut that easily and use multiple layers if it's still too bright.

·
Registered
852 Posts
What kind of photo period are you using? I don't have a planted + on my spec,been getting great growth with the stock light on mine.My other tanks all use planted + except for my 55 with a 24/7,I've been running something like 4 on,4 off,3 or 4 on using a 6 dollar timer from the hardware store.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas. My period is currently about 6 hours on I believe. I recently tore the tank apart because hair algae had taken over. I dose with Excel and Flourish when I remember in the mornings, and I've got two root tabs for the plants. I'm just worried that the hair algae will return again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.