The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a CO2 system within the next week. I've ordered most of the supplies I need, but I'm still stuck on a diffusion method. I posted a thread previously, but still don't think I understand the different options.

I'll be getting an Eheim 2215 or 2217 in a couple of months, but for now, I'm stuck with 2 Aquaclear filters. I know that HOBs cause a lot of CO2 to be lost, but I'm making an effort to keep the water level right up to the filter outflow. There is no splashing.

Until I get a better diffusion method, can I just feed the CO2 tubing into the intake of my HOBs? That's what I did with my DIY CO2. Once I get a canister, what are my options, and what are their advantages and disadvantages?

I've heard of needlewheel pumps, and they sound great, but they cost a bit more than I was hoping to spend right now. I also want to stay away from anything DIY, because I don't have the time or tools to make anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
The Hagen Mini Elite sounds like exactly what I need. Is it efficient enough to use long term on a 50 gallon tank?

maybe if you ran two and split the co2, otherwise i'd imagine you would need a ton of flow to keep most of the bubbles from rising to the surface

i have used this method in my 29 gallon, and it works great.. but i also have more then 400 gph worth of flow in my tank, so most of the bubbles floated around for a long while before they ever reach the surface

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I use a Rio 50 to diffuse in my 25. Just drill a hole or break off one of the rungs under the impellar housing and insert the tubing. it works great. I like to use the impellar to chop up the bubbles as I think you get a little finer mist.

·
Registered
711 Posts
for a 50 gal tank, i think an external reactor run inline with your canister output would be the best bang for the buck. personally, i got tired of all the co2 mist floating around the tank. i was injecting co2 into a powerhead it worked, but my external reactor is far more efficient. i was using 5-6 bps with the powerhead; for the reactor it's less than 2 bps, with better growth and more pearling. one less piece of equipment in my tank (i've got it running on a closed loop).

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone. I've been doing more research and I was wondering if a powerhead would be significantly better than the mini? If not, I'm just going to get the mini. Then, when I buy a canister, I'll get something inline.

If anyone could answer that question, that would be great!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.