The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a twently gallon tank, and may be running a nutrafin co2 kit with DIY mix. My question is, how can I determine my CO2 level? I hear the Ph and Kh cross reference chart is unreliable.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Measuring aqueous CO2 is inherently unreliable because of the volatility of aqueous CO2. The chart is a good way to go, also you can get the very popular drop checkers (check ebay or swapnshop here) which use water of a known kH to show you a color representing CO2 (blue = low green = good yellow = too high)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Low-Tech wasn't cuttin' it, huh:tongue:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I have a twently gallon tank, and may be running a nutrafin co2 kit with DIY mix. My question is, how can I determine my CO2 level? I hear the Ph and Kh cross reference chart is unreliable.
What is the point of measuring CO2 with a DIY setup? Even if it's not where you think it should be, you have no way to adjust it. DIY is just plug and play, and hope. ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
With DIY, I suppose that if the CO2 indicator suggests that your CO2 is too low, you could add another DIY bottle. And if it indicates too high, it might be a good sign that you should remove a bottle, add some surface agitation, or otherwise outgas the CO2. And if it has been sailing along with "good" CO2 levels according to the drop checker and then the level changes to "not enough," that might mean it's time to change the mix in the bottle. I don't have a drop checker, so I don't know for sure. But I can see where it would be potentially helpful for DIY folks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.