The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
A good rinse or wet towel wipe down should do the trick.
+1. Also, if there is coraline left on the glass, then either going at it with a razor will get rid of it quick, or you can spray a vinegar/water solution on it and rub with a paper towel (works well in the corners where the silicone is as well as the overflow box).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1. Also, if there is coraline left on the glass, then either going at it with a razor will get rid of it quick, or you can spray a vinegar/water solution on it and rub with a paper towel (works well in the corners where the silicone is as well as the overflow box).
what about the crevice on the overflow box...?
i can not wipe it down in the crevice...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dump some fresh water down the gap in the overflow. I can't remember how wide those gaps are, but maybe a chopstick or a wooden skewer will fit and you can flush fresh water downs and use the chopstock to knock out any calcerous worms and algae.

If it seems really dirty, running the tank for a while with water should flush anything stuck in the overflow gap out.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dump some fresh water down the gap in the overflow. I can't remember how wide those gaps are, but maybe a chopstick or a wooden skewer will fit and you can flush fresh water downs and use the chopstock to knock out any calcerous worms and algae.

If it seems really dirty, running the tank for a while with water should flush anything stuck in the overflow gap out.
it is like 1/4" wide, maybe... this is on a 55 gal tank.. i will see if i can find something long enough and thin enough.. thanks.. did not even think of a chopstick...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I don't know the salinity levels of marine tanks available off hand, but the tank itself offers such a small amount of surface area, I'd be willing to bet that just merely filling it with freshwater would effectively dilute any remaining salt to the point where it was unnoticeable.

Anyways, to be safe, a damp cloth wipe-down, or a hose-down and rinse outside.

I wouldn't worry too much about overflows and such, unless they are literally blocked by salt build-up, it likely won't matter when you fill the tank with freshwater.

Odds are, the previous owner of the tank drained it, and then put it into storage/up for sale (and even if they didn't, 98+% of the salt would be on the bottom of the tank).

If you see a whitish residue that you are concerned about, it's most likely carbonate buildup- also referred to as lime, scale, hardwater stains, etc. It may be unpleasant, but it's minor enough to not be concerned with at all. otherwise, the vinegar or razor techniques should work pretty well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the tank has been soaking with a vinegar/water solution for almost 2 days now.. at first, it was very cloudy, but now it has clear up...

i will be wiping it down and hosing it out big time...

i want to thank every one for their help...

now on to building my wet/dry filter...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts