The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, you read the topic right.

It seems like my shrimp love grazing on this stuff. Baby shrimp will completely clean off two entire panes on a 10 gallon tank in two days!

So my question is...how do I cultivate GSA/GDA on the few extra panes of glass?

I was just planning to somehow hold them standing up in a 10 gallon tank, fill with water, throw in a few plant clippings, and blast the panes with light.

Would this work? I know GDA has a lifecycle that eventually dies out but that's not what I want. I just read a post from Tom Barr stating that despite trying, he couldn't successfully inoculate tanks with the stuff.

·
Registered
118 Posts
gda - too much light
gsa - add ferts but no po4

I think gda might out compete the gsa though.

Might want to add some ammonia too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Better yet instead of ammonia just throw in a pleco and feed lots of cucumbers, that will add some nice organic ammonia. And the pleco will disturb the gda, which should interfere the "lifecycle".

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds good, you might want to add some diy co2 as well, algae loves it just as much as plants. And look at the tags below crazyepicfish lol.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
By far the best way to cultivate GDA and GSA is to invite one of us experts at growing it to work on your tanks a few times a week. We have the golden touch! I would volunteer, but I now devote myself to growing BBA, and have become a real expert at that.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
This is much easier than you are making it out to be.

Jobes stick, a small tank, jug etc, something with a wide mouth to add rocks, wood etc + a small powerhead. Place in south facing window

Allow plenty of aeration, add rock/wood etc, wait.

That's all.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I now have 6 plates of glass caked with the stuff.

Tank, throw in EI ferts, plant clippings, 70W MH light for 12 hours a day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.