The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm struggling. does anyone have good experience controlling vorticella colonies? It's on my banana plant, pearl weed, hairgrass, hornwort, and sponge filter. the last 2 week or so i've done 30% water changes every 3-4 days , stopped feeding (3 days), and removed visible decaying plants. I've salt dipped my floaters and banana plants and those melted, probably b/c I dipped too long. im cutting away portions of the plant where I see the colonies, the last 2 days it feels like they're growing back at a faster rate. only good thing is they're not on my shrimp yet.

Set up: 12 gal long tank with 6 cherry reds, some mystery snails, mystery plants from local river, limpets/detritus worms, heavily planted in deep substrate with dirt/sand. sponge filter via air pump.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
There are easy treatments.... but some of those are harmful to snails.

You might try Paraguard or Prazipro to do a tank treatment - but I would suggest researching how harmful these are to snails and probably take them out during treatment... then see if it helps your tanks. After several water changes, try adding one snail in for at least a week before putting all back in.

I have not used either to treat vorticella, so I don't have any personal experience there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Zoidburg.

In case someone needs the info, vorticella in my previously infested tank is down to very limited level after I added a hob filter and an air stone that run from time to time. Previously I had neither- tried the all natural method. I also bought ichi x as a backup, but likely won't use it now. I think the shrimp are happier with the added circulation, neon tetras definitely look happier. older leaves on plants yellowed a bit, I don't know if this is due to the added aeration and circulation or reduced light (I went from about 12 to 8 hrs of medium light around this time).

Just to add I also manually cut away leaves that were filled with vorticella colonies. Previously this method did not work as they came back in larger numbers, but with the hob and air stone they have not made a come back yet

1 - 3 of 3 Posts