The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Zoomed 30" T5 light on my tank, and over time it has built up a layer of grunge on the clear plastic splash guard that is in between the bulbs and the water. What is a safe way to clean the plastic guard? Is vinegar safe?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. I'd take the splash guard out and clean it in a separate room (habit I picked up with my reef tank) so the vinegar doesn't end up in the tank (that is, if you use a spray bottle. if you just use a mix, then you'll be fine right next to the tank)

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Either the name brand or store brands are fine (like Walmart's), just as long as it's the "original" variety with no soaps or additives. Before use for the first time, wet and squeeze it repeatedly just to be sure. If it foams or has a strong fragrance, you have the wrong kind.

To clean the splash guard, wet it, squeeze out all the water you can, and wipe. The grunge will come right off. No special precautions necessary, it's aquarium safe, and also excels at cleaning algae from the inside of acrylic tanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.