The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
I used to use 50/50 bleach/water when I used them. Soak for an hour+, then treat with water and Prime, and spray down. I'd expect a similar system would work with H2O2, though Prime won't do anything, so just rinse longer under water.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to use 50/50 bleach/water when I used them. Soak for an hour+, then treat with water and Prime, and spray down. I'd expect a similar system would work with H2O2, though Prime won't do anything, so just rinse longer under water.
Thanks for you reply. Not to sound rude, but I would like to get more input from someone who actually uses H202.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently began using H202 to great effect to spot clean algae during water changes. While the filters are off and the current reduced, H202 can be sprayed under water directly onto the desired area. It just needs to make contact with the algae to be killed and that's it.

Two key points are: Don't over use at any one time, and be patient. In the hours and days following treatment the results will be evident. I limit use to ~1ml per gallon, though the rule of thumb is 3ml/g max. After the first treatment not that much was needed anyway, just here and there.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If you are going to clean the diffuser remove it from the water as h202 will kill the algae but you will have dead algae attached to it,Use Kevmo's suggestion and after algae is gone rinse and soak but never touch the ceramic.H202 is a good spot algae killer but to really clean it a 50/50 bleach and water mix should be used.

·
Registered
41 Posts
h202 will kill the algae but you will have dead algae attached to it,
My experience so far, fortunately, has been that the dead algae detaches from whatever it grew on, floats around and gets taken up by one of the filter intakes.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Thanks for you reply. Not to sound rude, but I would like to get more input from someone who actually uses H202.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk
Fair enough. However, if you decide to clean the diffuser outside of the tank, you might as well use bleach, as it's cheaper and does the same job. And Prime will neutralize bleach, but not H2O2.

·
Registered
41 Posts
"And Prime will neutralize bleach, but not H2O2"

Hydrogen peroxide doesn't need to be neutralized. It's only 3% H2O2 & 97% water to start with, and it breaks down quickly when exposed to light.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
"And Prime will neutralize bleach, but not H2O2"

Hydrogen peroxide doesn't need to be neutralized. It's only 3% H2O2 & 97% water to start with, and it breaks down quickly when exposed to light.
At 3%, sure, there's not much worry. But then it needs longer to have any effect. Of course, it could be 5%. Or 10%. Or even 30%. Or more, if you have access to the industrial grade stuff.

But yes, a 3% H2O2 solution is fairly weak and doesn't kill a whole lot very quickly. And is still more expensive than standard bleach.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Agreed. One great advantage of its weakness is that it can be used directly in the tank, making it quick and convenient to keep minor algae in check during cleaning. Of course, for more severe algae, chlorine bleach treatment of items removed from the tank is the way to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.