The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got this nano diffuser and Diy yeast Mulch got into it anyways to clean it or so i have to blow it out?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just scrub it a little with an old toothbrush.

Some people recommend soaking it in hydrogen peroxide or a bleach solution, but the toothbrush works for me.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
umm the mulch is in the diffuser? how will i use a brush to, brush the insides =D

·
Registered
87 Posts
umm the mulch is in the diffuser? how will i use a brush to, brush the insides =D
I don't know how I could have missed that fact after re-reading your initial question...

Anyway, I have never had "mulch" on the inside of my diffusor, but to get liquid into the diffusor, I connected it to an airline and used a large syringe on the other end to draw water through the disk.

Usually, I got that white cotton-y fluff on the diffusor disk, so I would have to scrub it off once in a while to keep the bubbles small. To avoid this, use a bubble counter.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I wouldn't scrub the ceramic disk, it could force particles into the small holes.

With the stuff in the bell I use a siphon from a brake bleeder or from the python.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I figure, if a brush will force particles into the disk, wouldn't the 20psi of pressure on the other side push them back out?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I don't think the glass would handle 20psi....... again I wouldn't use a brush to jam particles into the disk which is not like a strainer where the holes go straight through but like a coral sponge so to speak.

Also, like anything else it will take the path of least resistance.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Does the needle valve reduce pressure, flow or both?
Both. If something after the needle valve is comletely blocked off the pressure could eventually build up to the amount out of your regulator, like 15 or 20 psi or whatever yours is at, unless something gives first, but the normal pressure after the needle valve is very low.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That makes sense. As long as the diffusor can keep up with the flow out of the needle valve, the pressure should not build. I guess the diffusor would have to be pretty clogged to get to that point. Also, now that I think about it, 20psi in a diffusor would probably be bad news.

I'm soaking my diffusor in a bleach solution now to see if the bubble size will improve.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have always noticed a great improvement in the bubble size after soaking/cleaning.

Something to think about.......the tires on your car is aired up to at least 30psi.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Smaller bubbles will stay suspended in the water column longer vs. bigger bubbles that will float to the top faster.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I thought about it more and the needle valve should only reduce flow, not pressure. The pressure inside the diffusor should be dictated by how much it takes to overcome the pressure on the outside of the diffusor disc and if it can keep up with the flow being metered out by the needle valve (still way less than 20psi).

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Exactly. I suppose I wasnt that specific in my earlier response, the needle valve doesnt really reduce the pressure itself. I am not sure how much pressure it takes and probably varies from different types of diffusers. Maybe I'll hook up a pressure gauge just to see what kind of pressure were dealing with going through the diffuser, I assumed it would be much lower than the reg but maybe that assumption is incorrect.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts