The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to move all my shrimp to a new larger tank. I've moved all adults but to moving baby shrimp is a horryfing work. catching them with the net is almost impossible, there are a lot of them in the tank and most of them are tiny. any ideas, a DIY home-made trap? I've heard that a plastic cap bottle with holes and food as a bait in it would work. any ideas? Thnx

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here's what you do to catch 80% of your shrimp safely and without much time on your part. Don't feed your shrimp for 5 days and then get a normal bottled water bottle. Drink the water but make sure the bottle is aquarium clean. Cut through the top ¼ of the bottle and through the bottom ¼ of your bottle. Remove the top and bottom quarters, flip over the top section so the hole you drink out of is pointed down, and place it in the bottom section so it fits snug with no places the shrimps can go expect down through the main hole. Fill it with aquarium water and drop your shrimps favorite food into the bottom part of the device. The shrimps will swim down through the hole in the top, but will not be able to leave the very well. Voila! You have a shrimp trap.

Make sure you only leave it in the aquarium for a max of two hours. Shrimp can get stressed and die.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what you do to catch 80% of your shrimp safely and without much time on your part. Don't feed your shrimp for 5 days and then get a normal bottled water bottle. Drink the water but make sure the bottle is aquarium clean. Cut through the top ¼ of the bottle and through the bottom ¼ of your bottle. Remove the top and bottom quarters, flip over the top section so the hole you drink out of is pointed down, and place it in the bottom section so it fits snug with no places the shrimps can go expect down through the main hole. Fill it with aquarium water and drop your shrimps favorite food into the bottom part of the device. The shrimps will swim down through the hole in the top, but will not be able to leave the very well. Voila! You have a shrimp trap.

Make sure you only leave it in the aquarium for a max of two hours. Shrimp can get stressed and die.
Thank You so much< I was looking for smthng like that, Thnx again

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Need to poke holes in the bottom of the bottle with ice pick or something similar for oxygen inside the bottle.
I use just such a trap to catch shrimps along with baby bristlenose.
Without tiny holes (too small for shrimp to get out) punched in the bottom of the bottle ,and if left in the tank overnight like I do,,many of the shrimp will be dead. IME
If left in the tank for only a few hours,maybe the holes are not needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.