The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you seal a sump system to keep CO2 from gassing off when the water goes down the overflow drain? How do you seal a sump and still have it all accessible to do maintenance/water changes/top offs?

I'm planning on having a lid over both the show tank and the sump to reduce evaporation, isn't that enough?

·
Registered
904 Posts
its the trickle tower or your input chamber which needs to be sealed. This will trap the CO2 so when the water does out gas, its exposed to CO2 and will reabsorb it. Tom Barr used some high tech strip sealer called 'Duct-Tape'.

The reminder of the sump can be covered or open as it shouldn't have much surface movement.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
With a 100 gallon open tank I lost a gallon a day and now I lose no water with a covered sump and tank. NONE! I am so used to filling the sump as full as possible I have nearly had floods with this set up.

I use a bit of bubble wrap in the overflow box to keep air turbulence from moving CO2 out of the box. CO2 is heavier than air so I figure all I need to do is prevent a lot of air movement. The water outflow is under water so there is little turbulence.

My inflow tower is a 5 gallon bucket with a sealing lid, figure that is good enough. I have cut tubing lining the inflow pipe's hole which ought to give a pretty good seal.

So far I don't seem to be using more CO2 on this 180 than I did on the 100, thinking covering is conserving gas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.