The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered some cory's in the mail and I got 6, but 4 of them died, and now have 2 left. I am considering breeding them. How do I tell the difference between male and female? And most importantly what do I need to do to breed them?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Why are you worried about breeding them when they are dying? First of all, you need to get more of them. Cories like being in groups, I would say 8 is a good number. After that, then think about breeding. We don't even know what kind of cories they are.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why are you worried about breeding them when they are dying? First of all, you need to get more of them. Cories like being in groups, I would say 8 is a good number. After that, then think about breeding. We don't even know what kind of cories they are.
I am worried about breeding them because obviously I want more. They are Shwartzi cory cats.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Where did you order them from and why doesnt the supplier have a policy on dead deliveries?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where did you order them from and why doesnt the supplier have a policy on dead deliveries?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I got them from wetspot tropical fish. They got here alive, it's just that the water smelled weird and the water was like tan colored.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would like to know how to breed coryadoras catfish too, as I have 5 punctatus cory catfish (I will be getting more), and it would be nice to get them to breed :)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The easiest way to sex cory cats is by looking at them from above the water. The females will look wider than the males. To induce breeding you feed them heavily for a couple of days or so and then do daily water changes with cooler water. if the water changes are not possible some people have put ice cubes into the tank water at night to cool of the water. You want the cories to think it is cool spring rain making the temps drop so they go into spawn mode. They will lay their eggs on the glass or on spawning mops or floating plants. The eggs are very tough skinned. You can scrape them off the glass or pull the off the spawning mops or plants to put them in your breeding tank. If you leave them in the tank they will become cory snacks. I put my eggs in a breeder box and throw a couple cherry shrimp in with them to keep the eggs clean and as fungus free as possible. they usually hatch in 3-5 days and live off their egg sack the first day. then feed them baby food. your choice what food as long as they eat it. daily water changes are necessary as the babies need pristine water. hope that helps

·
Registered
679 Posts
I got them from wetspot tropical fish. They got here alive, it's just that the water smelled weird and the water was like tan colored.
Never had a problem with them ( Wetspot) and they have a good reputation.

How did you acclimate the Corys? When did they die? what was the condition of the tank they went in ( if they made it)?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wetspot has great fish it's just that the water in the bag was a different color and it smelled like something else besides the fish water.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did the water in your tank smell or did the container corys came in smell?
If it was the smell of roten eggs, then it was the NH4 that killed your corys, or NO2 may be the couse of dead. Do you use testers?

NH4 and NO2 are present when filter is not doing the biological part of cleaning.

You first have to dicover why coryes died and only than you should think about breeding them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
679 Posts
Did the water in your tank smell or did the container corys came in smell?
If it was the smell of roten eggs, then it was the NH4 that killed your corys, or NO2 may be the couse of dead. Do you use testers?

NH4 and NO2 are present when filter is not doing the biological part of cleaning.

You first have to dicover why coryes died and only than you should think about breeding them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
+1 on figuring out what happened

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have ordered many fish from wetspot and never had a problem. Did you contact them about your fish? I'm sure they would work with you on any problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maybe they got poisend during transport. How many days did they travel? When did they die?
Can you please describe what you did from the moment you got them to their death.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They were in travel for lees then a day. They died the day I got them, one died like a couple of hours after I put them in, and the other three later at night. When I put them in the lights were off, and I left them off for the next 3 or 4 hours. When I opened the bag I put a drop of seachem prime.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmm... So we could suggest that they got poisend during transport. Contact seller, they should have a DOA policy.

Bot it is also posible that there was something wrog with the aquarium. Was the aquarium and filtration cycled? If not that is the 99% possible couse.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The easiest way to sex cory cats is by looking at them from above the water. The females will look wider than the males. To induce breeding you feed them heavily for a couple of days or so and then do daily water changes with cooler water. if the water changes are not possible some people have put ice cubes into the tank water at night to cool of the water. You want the cories to think it is cool spring rain making the temps drop so they go into spawn mode. They will lay their eggs on the glass or on spawning mops or floating plants. The eggs are very tough skinned. You can scrape them off the glass or pull the off the spawning mops or plants to put them in your breeding tank. If you leave them in the tank they will become cory snacks. I put my eggs in a breeder box and throw a couple cherry shrimp in with them to keep the eggs clean and as fungus free as possible. they usually hatch in 3-5 days and live off their egg sack the first day. then feed them baby food. your choice what food as long as they eat it. daily water changes are necessary as the babies need pristine water. hope that helps

I have bred Emerald Green Cory Cat and Sterba's Cory during spring, summer rains. When rainy season hits, it usually pours monsoon style daily but only for few minutes and seems to take place more so at night than day.

They have not bred outside the rainy season even when temps are ideal for them but did not know it was the rains till read your informative reply, just thought they only breed during certain season but now I know.

I also keep Adolfoi Cory Cats under same conditions but they have not bred once .

All are outside in 40 gallon to 120 gallon pvc "ponds" such as this one which has some platys and 4 sterba corys.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts