The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse the newbie question. I have some black/dark greenish algae in the tank. Its not bushy, its not hairy, its not slimy. I done a few tries where I haven't turned the tank light on for days, but its still had room light. So now I want to try a "black out". Do I just put a blanket over the tank? Will that bother my betta or shrimp? I put a couple layers of painters tape over the bottom where the algae is growing in the substrate to hopefully help that too.

Any other tips?

Algae in the substrate against the glass

Algae on the leaves and the filter

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't have any blankets, but just wrapped it in tinfoil. I feel bad for my fish and the shrimp, it has to be black dark in there!

Usually we turn the tank light on before school (8:30ish) and then at bedtime (9-10ish) so its probably getting too much light. We have a timer I can attach, what is a good light span? The bulbs aren't anything fancy, just aquarium bulbs (I'll see if I can find the specs to be more specific).

·
Registered
6,186 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
ottos will clean that up for you ;)
and the algae on the glas, you can clean of with a magfloat or a little sponge.

I use black garbage bags to black out + overdose excel.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Though there are many ways to black out, a popular one at the moment is Four Loko. As I don't think it would be good for the fish, I'll second the suggestion of black garbage bags.

Just note that this is more of a band-aid then it is a fix. If you do the blackout without getting to the root cause, the algae will likely come back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.