The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I purchased this awesome regulator about a year ago and looking to add a second metering valve. Any ideas what parts I would need in order to make the conversion? I like DIY projects but I have never played around with a co2 regulator...looks pretty straight forward once you get the parts though.

Here are some pics from the for sale thread that I dug up...

- Burkert 6011 solenoid with varister and LED power indicator (110VAC)
- Parker metering valve with turn counter handle
- High quality brass pipe fittings
- Swagelok tube fitting with about 7' of high quality CO2 tubing, pre-installed.*

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm going to assume that your second tank running CO2 is going to be on the same schedule as the first.

Remove the L fitting after the solenoid, replace it with a T fitting. Attach a needle valve to each side.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to assume that your second tank running CO2 is going to be on the same schedule as the first.

Remove the L fitting after the solenoid, replace it with a T fitting. Attach a needle valve to each side.
Thanks. Seems simple....now I just need someone to hopefully respond with a list of parts. :proud:

·
Registered
824 Posts
1 Male NPT 1/8" T fitting

If you're also looking for a metering valve, you'll have to start looking on ebay. Check out Bettatails thread on metering valves for an idea about what to look for.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 Male NPT 1/8" T fitting

If you're also looking for a metering valve, you'll have to start looking on [Ebay Link Removed] Check out Bettatails thread on metering valves for an idea about what to look for.
Thanks. I basically want the same exact metering valve assembly that's currently on my regulator. Is there a parts list?

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
I use a 3 way CO2 manifold.

Here are some options on ebay (you'll have to copy and paste it into a new tab):
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/co2-splitter

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
option one:
swagelok SS male Tee

talk to kevmo911 to get a Parker H3L metering valve.

option one is for front and back arrangement of two metering valves.

option two:
swagelok brass center male, female skirt Tee

and one more 1/8 male npt to 1/8 male npt elbow identical to the one currently on your system.

option two is for both metering valve towards front.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use a 3 way CO2 manifold.

Here are some options on ebay (you'll have to copy and paste it into a new tab):
[Ebay Link Removed]
Thanks. I have one of those on my other regular and it's not very accurate. It does the job but I need this to be extremely accurate.

swagelok SS male Tee

talk to kevmo911 to get a Parker H3L metering valve.
Thanks. I just shot a pic of the serial number 2f-h3l-v-ss-tc. They have them on ebay as well which is a giant plus.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Oh strange. My 3 way manifold comes with 3 needle valves that allow individual accurate control. I've got it set up at 1 bps to one tank and 5 to my larger one.

My one looks exactly like this one, except mine has a male fitting to attach directly to the regulator instead of the female fitting in this photo:

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
Just one last part please....

Swagelok tube fitting (same one that's in the pics).
last part is easy, and you have a lot of options.
try the push and pull air hose quick connector.

I just add some info to my last post

Oh strange. My 3 way manifold comes with 3 needle valves that allow individual accurate control. I've got it set up at 1 bps to one tank and 5 to my larger one.

My one looks exactly like this one, except mine has a male fitting to attach directly to the regulator instead of the female fitting in this photo:
I like that branch manifold, but have to custom order those, only available in large quantity, headache for me because don't need that many...

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome...you guys are great. I will be ordering all these parts this week.

Do I need any type of glue or teflon tape? Sorry for being ignorant but I have never put one of these together.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just picked up all the parts for this quick build. Some are coming from China so it will be some time before they arrive.

Parts list (all from Ebay):

• Swagelok B-2-BT, 1/8" Branch Tee, Brass
  • 5 x New Brass Pipe Male 90 Deg Elbow Fitting 1/8" NPT Water Fuel
  • Parker 1/8" Stainless Steel HR Precision Metering Valve 2F-H3L-V-SS-TC
  • 5PCS 1/8" PT Male Thread to 6mm Tube Push in Connect Straight Quick Fittings
  • NEW 2.5M 6x4mm Air Proof Clear Tube CO2 Pipe Aquarium polyurethane tubing

Total: $112 with shipping.

I also have a quick question since I literally never attempted to work on my own regulator. How do I even unscrew the elbow that I am pointing to? Do I need two wrenches or do I just unscrew by pushing the whole metering device away from me? Or, do I need to hold the square metal piece with a wrench where the solenoid is attached to and use a second wrench to unscrew the elbow?

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
One wrench on the metering valve and another on the elbow. Make sure you get all of the old tape out the solenoid connection(and metering valve...). Same process for the elbow. One wrench on the solenoid and the other on the elbow.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i would turn the L elbow to the outside then take the metering valve off, then the elbow. That is probably the only way can do it. I will up load my setup.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
L

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The manifold itself is from Tekton. Too bad they dont have chrome plated or as units.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Just picked up all the parts for this quick build. Some are coming from China so it will be some time before they arrive.

Parts list (all from Ebay):

• Swagelok B-2-BT, 1/8" Branch Tee, Brass
  • 5 x New Brass Pipe Male 90 Deg Elbow Fitting 1/8" NPT Water Fuel
  • Parker 1/8" Stainless Steel HR Precision Metering Valve 2F-H3L-V-SS-TC
  • 5PCS 1/8" PT Male Thread to 6mm Tube Push in Connect Straight Quick Fittings
  • NEW 2.5M 6x4mm Air Proof Clear Tube CO2 Pipe Aquarium polyurethane tubing

Total: $112 with shipping.

I also have a quick question since I literally never attempted to work on my own regulator. How do I even unscrew the elbow that I am pointing to? Do I need two wrenches or do I just unscrew by pushing the whole metering device away from me? Or, do I need to hold the square metal piece with a wrench where the solenoid is attached to and use a second wrench to unscrew the elbow?

You can save some money by getting the T with all male ends. So all you need is -

Swagelok T - all male
Swagelok Elbow x2 OR Push in fitting 1/8 to tube.

You need the 2 elbow if you want to add the bubble counters.

This is my regulator set up, it shares the same metering valve and regulator model as yours.

The route you're taking is also fine. I'm just giving you an example of another way to do it. It will work either way. You will love that Matheson, it's a beast of a rig and one of the fews I think is worth adding a second needle valve on because of it's large size.

You end up with something like this -

Have fun, good luck.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts