The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some shrimp, 5 Amanos and 3 Cherry Reds, acclimatized them as I would fish and, as best I can tell, the all expired overnight. I acclimatize by adding 1/2 a yogurt cup of tank water to the bag every 20 to 30 minutes until the bag is almost full. For example I purchased 5 Cardinals at the same tome, used this method, and they are all fine.

This is a very well established (10+ years) 20 gallon tank. Heavily planted, with presurized CO2. I have 10 Cardinal Tetras, 2 Otocinclas and 4 Cories. I follow the EI method for ferts. I would really like to add some shrimp. I had some in the past. We had a heat storm in Northern CA last summer which caused the power to go out for several days. I lost the Amanos I had as well as a number of fish.

What did I do wrong?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Usually they are pretty old when you buy them from a LFS.

With your tank it has been setup for 10+ yrs eh....what are the nitrates like? co2 levels? etc etc..

When I get new fish/shrimp/whatever I just float them and then either pour them into a bowl and pour a cup or so of my tank water into the bowl but the whole thing doesn't go for more then 30mins, 15 mins to level temp and the other with the water thing.....but majority of the time I just float and net them into the tank.

ETA: I have done it both ways with....RCS,CRS,Tigers,Amanos and sp.Blue and guess what....I still have them all.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Majority of the time I just dump them (cherries) straight in. It works. Once I noticed that water parameters were on the opposite ends. Such as cold, low ph, low kh, soft water to warm, high ph, high kh, hard water. The cherries were fine. For anything else I can't say.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I never "slash and dump" anything. At the very least, I dump the bag out through a net into a bucket so next to no water from the LFS goes into the tank.

Tommy

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These shrimp were young, < 1/2 inch in length. And purchased from a LFS that specializes in planted tanks. They had many kinds of shrimp including some Diamond shrimp at $25 each.

I don't measure parameters. I expect the nitrates are high as I follow the EI method and CO2 is at a level that the plants enjoy. By the middle of the afternoon I have heavy pearling.

I also floated the bag for 30 minutes before I started adding tank water.

It seems I didn't do anything wrong. Bad luck I guess. I will speak to the LFS next time I'm there about some replacements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.