The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this question has been asked before (couldn't find anything via search), but how tight should I be tying moss to rocks? There are some sections where it's kinda fluffy and held loosely against the rocks. Is that ok? Will it attach faster if it's tied down tightyl? It's taiwan and peacock moss if that makes a difference. Thanks

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Doesn't need to be really tight. Just enough to hug the rock. It will attach regardless.

The trick is to spread it thinly and evenly. This ensures light will reach the bottom layers, where it can grow and attach faster.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
The trick is to spread it thinly and evenly. This ensures light will reach the bottom layers, where it can grow and attach faster.
I can't stress this enough. Also trim, because if it gets too thick the moss that is anchoring to the wood or rock will die, and your moss will start floating away. :angryfire

·
Registered
459 Posts
Peacock/Spiky Moss will never attach. One of the good things about Peacock/Spiky Moss is that it isn't as sensitive to being tied down too thick as some of the others are.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
welll its not a waste of money persay...it looks nice and my cherries like to hide out in it and eat
Yeah, but I've got a weird shaped rock with nooks and crannis that requires a LOT of tying/string/fishing line to hold the moss down, so I was hoping it would be a temporary look until it attached, lol. I guess I'll just have to cover up the whole surface with moss tied down, instead of the half-moss-half-rock look I was going for :(

How well does Taiwan Moss attach? I've got a bit of it too.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Taiwan does attach, but maybe not as good as what you're looking for. Peacock/Spiky Moss (same moss different names) is my favorite, it grows fast and looks great. You just have to see how they grow to know how to use them. From the rock that you are describing, you might want to try a moss like Xmas or Creeping. They seem to attach and spread along surfaces better. Check this site out for moss info.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bah, I didn't realize there was such a big difference between the types of moss. I guess I'll sell the peacock moss to get some Xmas then :( Thanks

EDIT: Yeah, I did check out that site, but I didn't see any mention of peacock not attaching, and I liked the look of it :/

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Chorna, Pick the moss you want and keep it. After a while it should send out rhizoids (spelling?) aka rooty things and should stick. If wost comes to wost use a bit of super glue to help hold it on. You'll never know you glued it on after a few months...

-Andrew

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I'm getting conflicting information, so I guess I will go with the higher post count........ :icon_lol: I do like the look of peacock, so superglue it is! Thanks!

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Fish_Newb makes an important point, as usual.
it's easy to reattach moss to any object using
thin clear fishing line, so the focus should be
on how much you like the way the moss fills in
and grows, rather than how fast it sticks on.

for example, the main reason people defect from
ordinary Java moss to Xmas, Peacock or Taiwan
is how the growth seems more symmetrical on the
three alternatives. People want Flame moss as
it grows up to the light, and Fissinden since the
leaves are move visible than those other three.

So just enjoy what you have for a few Months.
or instead of trading your moss away, grow two
different kinds, and see which one you prefer
once they are both fully acclimated to your tank.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks spy. I love the way both mosses look, but as this is a really oddly shaped rock, the excessive string/fishing line I have on it now looks really ugly, so I was wondering how long it'd be before I can remove it. I guess superglue will solve the problem though. I did a search on it and it seems some people find it melts underwater if put in before it's cured and other's say it doesn't. Any recommendations on a particular brand? I've used Loctite Gel Superglue in the past, but I'm not sure how well that works.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
All moss will send out Rhizoids, and attach.]
the moss and fern are closely related. think of moss's "roots" as miniuature java fern roots.

(Some things that won't attach-riccia+pelia. they're not mosses.)

some take a while, soome don't.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Chrona - I used black thread to attach some xmas moss to driftwood. I cannot even see it, and it will dissolve over time. There are tons of folks here that know more than me, but I cannot believe that glue will result in a living attachment... so I cannot help to wonder if the glued part would die... then the remaining moss floats away.

Again, I have no experience with glue, but the black thread seemed to work just fine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.