The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning out my new tank, and I’ll be using a pretty coarse layer of lava rock granules as the base layer in the substrate(.500-.750" pieces). The reasoning for this is to add more surface area for biological filtration, and to add height without having an anaerobic layer. My question is this… How thick can I reasonably go before I risk anaerobic respiration at the bottom? In case it’s important, this is going in a 125G tank, and I would really like places with the substrate 10-12” thick (7-9” of lava rock + 3” of BDBS). Will this work out fine, or am I asking for trouble here?

·
Registered
484 Posts
In my experience you should be fine. The deepest substrate in my tank is about 8" (6" of soil and 2" of gravel cap). It has been running for 5 years now and it has never been an issue. It did let off a lot of bubbles the first 6 months but careful monitoring (sniffing) revealed no detectable signs of rotten egg smell.

I will be using up to 8" of soil with a 2" gravel cap without any concern in our new 180g tank. I would have no worries going thicker if I cared to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.