The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
66 Posts
Hello,
I am planning to scape a 10-gallon aquarium similar to this one at PetSmart:

LINK REMOVED - Just explain the specific tank you're mentioning

I am planning to add a large piece of seiryu stone(probably around 10-15 pounds). Because the bottom panel is really thin and not directly on the surface underneath, would the glass crack under the weight of the glass? Is there any way to support the glass by adding something underneath(books?)?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hello,
I am planning to scape a 10-gallon aquarium similar to this one at PetSmart:

LINK REMOVED

I am planning to add a large piece of seiryu stone(probably around 10-15 pounds). Because the bottom panel is really thin and not directly on the surface underneath, would the glass crack under the weight of the glass? Is there any way to support the glass by adding something underneath(books?)?
Thanks
Do not put anything under a rimmed tank. If you do you run the risk of breaking the bottom. These tanks are built to take a pretty large load. 15 lbs is not a lot. Some people put down eggcrate/light diffuser to distribute the weight. But other folks don't bother.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I can't remember where I saw it, but there's a video of a guy standing in a 75 gallon tank on top of some cinder blocks or stones I think. As stupid and outlandish as that sounds, it illustrates a point.

Stunts aside, I can attest from personal experience that you can place some very large and heavy stones in a framed tank. I had over 80 pounds of large stones on my 55, and probably 100 pounds in my 75 gallon tank before I re-scaped them. Some of the rocks were well over 15 lbs. They were nestled into the substrate (couple inches) and not on bare glass. If they will be directly on the bottom, egg crate wouldn't be a bad idea, or even high density foam.

In a ten gallon tank I can't imagine you could fit a rock in there to crack or break the bottom. Barring dropping it of course :)

66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't remember where I saw it, but there's a video of a guy standing in a 75 gallon tank on top of some cinder blocks or stones I think. As stupid and outlandish as that sounds, it illustrates a point.

Stunts aside, I can attest from personal experience that you can place some very large and heavy stones in a framed tank. I had over 80 pounds of large stones on my 55, and probably 100 pounds in my 75 gallon tank before I re-scaped them. Some of the rocks were well over 15 lbs. They were nestled into the substrate (couple inches) and not on bare glass. If they will be directly on the bottom, egg crate wouldn't be a bad idea, or even high density foam.

In a ten gallon tank I can't imagine you could fit a rock in there to crack or break the bottom. Barring dropping it of course :)
Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.