The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it okay to plant (emersed) right away in a tank with a newly laid out MTS substrate? I bought a ready made MTS mix from n_seine and thinking of setting up a tank with the substrate. It came with directions on how to make a slurry and apply the sand topping. I've read that it's a nutrient rich mixture and wonder if it might burn the plants. Do I have to let it settle or mature before planting on it?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
You should be safe to plant right away. If it is too hot (high ammonia) it would not be good for an aquarium.

Several substrates produce some ammonia as they are adjusting to being under water (read some posts about the ADA product line) and it is just fine to plant these from the start.

Use that ammonia production to get the fishless cycle started.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should be safe to plant right away. If it is too hot (high ammonia) it would not be good for an aquarium.

Several substrates produce some ammonia as they are adjusting to being under water (read some posts about the ADA product line) and it is just fine to plant these from the start.

Use that ammonia production to get the fishless cycle started.
It will be an emersed set up, no fish tank, and plants growing on substrate barely covered with water.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
It's fine. The whole process of mineralizing the soil drastically reduces the presence of any ammonia causing organics in the soil. Plant away!

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
No I didn't ask this question to n_seine. He just plants on it right away but I want to hear other comments.

Just curious.

I plant right away with MTS myself. However, I stopped using straight MTS for emersed growing. I now mix it with sphagnum moss and crushed oak leaves. In a 75% to 50% mix. I feel that's working better in my clay pots.

I think that might be closer to how they grow in nature. No proof, just my thoughts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.