The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up a shrimp tank a few months ago for PFR and after a rough shipment what has matured is 3 males and one female. Her first batch was born a few weeks ago and I have around two dozen youngsters. She is saddled again. Seeing as she is the only mature female in the tank and that all the ones that come to maturity after this will be closely related, how soon should I be looking to add genetic diversity to the tank? Right away? I know it is usually w/in a few generations, but seeing as she is the sole mama, I thought I may need to get started right away.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It all depends, like soothing shrimp stated it may not cause a defect until much later. Things to consider
what was the gene lines quality when you received them(are they siblings, if so what generation of inbreeding)
Once the juvies grow up the other males will mate with them also so that will add some diversity.
If it were fish the stress of being the only female would shorten her life.

To me its up to you, I'd put money on your colony building for a while without defects but diversity is always a positive though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have one male that I assumed was a female due to his coloration, but he has stayed small and has the swoosh belly. The other two males look more cherry-like. I don't want to go crazy with something like a PRF, but I would like to breed decent quality shrimp...enough to fund my hobby at least. I would also like to gain the experience to start breeding more delicate/select breeding species in the future. So I am unsure of how soon I should yank the cherry colored males out and how soon I should add more diversity. The babies are coloring up, but not enough for me know whether they are of decent quality yet. The parents are from a well reputed website, so I have hopes. Though there isn't much to be said about the parents, vs purchase from a fellow member. I don't know about lines.

So it seems like the consensus is that I should wait. Probably have beginners anxiety.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.