The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered 20 amanos from California that came 2nd day to me in Florida yesterday. 8 of the 20 were DOA and 3 more were dead this morning. They had some kind of brown leaf in the water with them and were in a breather bag. When I opened the bag the smell was awful. The shipper is more than willing to send replacements even though I didn't pay for the arrive alive guarantee. I just don't want to end up having more die in the process. I tried to put pics in the post but the aren't showing up. Pictures of how it was packed and shipped are here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/112308...authkey=Gv1sRgCLGWusXVj7-G6gE&feat=directlink

·
Registered
861 Posts
Looks like the normal way live creatures are shipped except usually people put in some java moss or any other kind of greenery.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
The leaf is an Indian Almond Leaf which is actually a good addition to any shrimp tank. The shrimp may have not had anything to hold onto during shipping so they might have bounced around and died if handled roughly by USPS.

Maybe the water got too acidic with the IAL releasing tannins since the water was so brown, can't be sure though. Never had it happen to me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe the water got too acidic with the IAL releasing tannins since the water was so brown, can't be sure though. Never had it happen to me.
This is what I'm thinking may have happened, I'm no expert so I was just wondering if anyone else had shipped or recieved shrimp that did okay with this method.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts