The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get regular flourite for $15.99 or black flourite for $21.99 from DFS with the flat $5.99 shipping.

I like things to look natural and dont care much for the shiny black sand I see in some tanks. But I dont want something red that is too colorful. A real dark brown is my favorite. So I am torn between the black and regular flourite.

How red is the regular? Dont want it to distract from the plants and fish.

Mind you this will be going into a 125 gallon tank. So I will need 9 bags or more.

·
Registered
385 Posts
There are several different manufactures. Each have different mixes, and thus different colors. Find the brand you want, their individual branding for the red or black, and type those in to google images and decide for yourself.

·
Are these real?
15,712 Posts
Well, regular Flourite is sorta in between "Red" Flourite and "Black" Flourite. It has a mixture of red and black granules. Hard to say how "Red" it will be to you, that's a rather personal thing.

I think the regular Flourite is good looking, not too screaming red, but contrasts nicely with our green plants. If you want it a bit darker, you could mix in a couple of "Black" bags. This does NOT make it look brown though, just black and red.

If you like brown, look into ADA AquaSoil.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'm pretty sure DrF&S USED to carry the Flourite Dark, IDK why it's not listed now? You might even call and ask if they can order you in some, if you're wanting to take advantage of that flat rate shipping deal.

Here it is on Seachem's website, at any rate: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlouriteDark.html

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried DFS and no go. That only sell what they have which is what I thought they would say. They have Eco-complete at $24 for 20#'s and Flourite black at $22 for 15#'s. Price per pound and Eco-Complete is a better buy. But man $180 for substrate WOW!! Maybe I will need to look at Turface or similiar.

Thanx Agoins for the pics. I dont think regular Flourite is dark enough for my taste.:(

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Follow up.... is Turface or Oildry etc really that hard to work with?? I am really trying to find the most fool proof way of going as I my daughter (11yrs old) is helping with the project and I dont want to scare her away from planted tanks etc by failing by being overcomplicated. If I need to pay a premium so be it and go out my planned budget.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I tried DFS and no go. That only sell what they have which is what I thought they would say. They have Eco-complete at $24 for 20#'s and Flourite black at $22 for 15#'s. Price per pound and Eco-Complete is a better buy. But man $180 for substrate WOW!! Maybe I will need to look at Turface or similiar.

Thanx Agoins for the pics. I dont think regular Flourite is dark enough for my taste.:(
Yea, I wish it was darker. :icon_frow

Flourite covers more than eco complete, so you cant necessarily go by price per pound. Look into Drsfostersmith

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4870
flourite
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9087
eco complete

5.99 shipping.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i have regular flourite and its darker then the pics agoins posted. i really like it.
im pretty sure the flourite black is kinda greyish looking. Atleast in photos i saw posted.
i think regular flourite is very natural looking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts