The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a Pentair QO. 4000 with over a 1000GPH and 10 feet head pressure,does anybody here know how noisy they are ?I know they are not so quiet as the manufacturer claims but I need to know your personal experience with these pumps.
BTW I did search but not much info was available,some members from another site had mixed reviews.
appreciate your help.
Ken.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine was not very quiet and it produced a lot of vibration...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was using it submerged. After about a year it would stop for no reason and I had to "bang" it to restart it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was using it submerged. After about a year it would stop for no reason and I had to "bang" it to restart it.
Thanks for your help elpezpr.
A few people mentioned that these pumps don't start after a brown out.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've not had a problem with mine. Mine is submerged and is currently 5' behind me and I can't here it. Even when I open the cabinet to where the sump is I still can't hear it but it certainly does circulate the water well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am about to buy a Pentair QO. 4000 ... I need to know your personal experience with these pumps.
I used that same pump submerged in a sump in an enclosed stand for a short while and I thought it was ~very~ loud.

BTW, that's an awful lot of pump to run submerged in a planted tank. Where & how are you going to direct the output?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used that same pump submerged in a sump in an enclosed stand for a short while and I thought it was ~very~ loud.

BTW, that's an awful lot of pump to run submerged in a planted tank. Where & how are you going to direct the output?
It will be connected to a huge "Ocean Clear " canister (2 gal capacity).
so far 90% of people have complained about the noise of these pumps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It will be connected to a huge "Ocean Clear " canister (2 gal capacity)
I must have misunderstood. When you said you'd be "installing it in the tank" I thought that meant you were going to submerge it in your tank. Or maybe you are, and are going to plumb it from the tank to the external canister and then back to the tank?

distrbd said:
so far 90% of people have complained about the noise of these pumps
Yeah, I think "Quiet One" may be a bit of a misnomer.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must have misunderstood. When you said you'd be "installing it in the tank" I thought that meant you were going to submerge it in your tank. Or maybe you are, and are going to plumb it from the tank to the external canister and then back to the tank?

Yeah, I think "Quiet One" may be a bit of a misnomer.

Yes,that's exactly how I'm planing to pulmb the pump by puting it in a 100 gal tank then from there to the canister and back,I'll also connect the co2 line to the canister .

·
Registered
249 Posts
Guess I'll find out soon. I purchased a 5000 to go in my sump to replace a mag7. The mag7 ain't all that quiet so I'll see how the 5000 compares. Somebody mentioned a manufacturer that the reef people use a lot and are supposedly very quiet. I forget the name, but do a search. If I recall they were close to double the price, though.

David

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guess I'll find out soon. I purchased a 5000 to go in my sump to replace a mag7. The mag7 ain't all that quiet so I'll see how the 5000 compares. Somebody mentioned a manufacturer that the reef people use a lot and are supposedly very quiet. I forget the name, but do a search. If I recall they were close to double the price, though.

David
Let us know how the QO 5000 performs.I found a used Eheim 1262 for $75 and I think I'll forget about not so " Quiet one" all together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts