The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
From the substrate to top of the tank is 16" so that would mean I would consistantly have between 70ish and 50ish par? Thats a lot isnt it? I suppose with a class or screen cover the par would drop a little. I don't want way too much light but I want to be able to grow some higher light plants like HC etc.

·
Banned
107 Posts
I recently tested the 24inch fixture on my tank and the par was lower than I expected. I measured a par rating ranging from 30-38 with the light on too of the tank 14-15 inches from substrate.
The rated par is tested through open air and not through water hence the lower real life readings. I assume your tank is filled with water and perhaps you have some water movement at the top of your water.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yeah I was aware of that I just expected a bit more par from it. My tank is indeed filled w/ a bit of surface ripple.

Back to researching what fixture I should go with. Really want to get in the high light realm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
107 Posts
Yeah I was aware of that I just expected a bit more par from it. My tank is indeed filled w/ a bit of surface ripple.

Back to researching what fixture I should go with. Really want to get in the high light realm.

Have you considered doubling up on the Ray 2? I was thinking about switching up my Quad T5HO fixture for two Ray 2 fixtures. Since my distance to substrate is close to yours I figured I would ask. My T5HO fixture puts me firmly in the high category.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I thought about it but because there's no hanging kit option I decided just to send it back. It put out the same amount of par as my glo t5ho. Been looking at buildmyled a
bit but haven't decided quite yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.