The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please, no flaming. I know this is bad, but my math maybe off. Keep in mind, that I'll soon have a 20 gallon long opened for new inhabitants.

In my semi-heavily planted (plants are filling in; trying to get it heavily planted) 30 gallon long, I have:

-1 Farlowella acus
-5 Harlequin rasboras
-1 Golden wonder killifish
-1 Paradise fish
-3 SAEs
-1 "Wild-type" guppy that was supposed to have been a treat for the killi when it (guppy) was a fry.

I just put a Magnum 350 filter on the tank.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Doesn't seem to bad to me, except maybe the SAE's , since they get bigger. In my moderately planted 20g I have:
5 zebra loaches
5 corys
4 otos
4 harlequin rasboras
8 glowlight tetras

And they are all fine so far. Granted, my loaches and corys are not completely full grown, but anyway... Hope that helps. I think you can safely keep more fish if you have lots of plants.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
-1 Golden wonder killifish
-1 Paradise fish
-3 SAEs
when any one or more of these fish start pacing against the glass or
chasing others around, I would move some of these to the new tank.
certainly one SAE should move if at least to help with cleaning duty.
SAE's seem to like company, but they do just fine alone. when my
SAE's got over 3" I gave all away but one, and he's doing just fine.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
I don't think it is too bad for a 30gal tank. Much depends on the actual size of the fishies.

Food for thought - the more fish you have in a tank, the more bioload, the more "stuff" (biofilm, detritus) is deposited on plants and substrate, the more (drumroll) potential for algae outbreaks. Too many fish, plants can get choked in a layer of bacteria/algae growth.

·
Banned
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll be moving out my killifish, paradise, and possibly a SAE. The paradise fish is actually fairly well-behaved.

No one really picks on each other, except for the largest SAE picks on the medium-sized SAE at feeding time. Once they are full, they go back to swimming together.

I have 3.2 Wpg of PC lighting, no ferts (besides poo), and I haven't been running CO2 on the tank for about 3 or 4 months. The only algae that I have seen is a small patch of GSP towards the back of the tank. A quick swipe with the scraper, and it's gone.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Looks fine. Biggest concern to me is the three SAE's. But if they are doing fine, so be it!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
you are fine....particularly if you plan on moving one of your SAE's

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
bah, you're fine. The 1"/gal rule is a bad one, plus its only moderately useful at best with planted tanks and more experienced aquarists. 3 SAEs in a 30g should be fine as I've had that many in a 20g without problems. Just be warned, however, that they can acquire a taste for food or even some plants (in my experience) and can get lazy about eating algae the older they get. I like otto's much better.

·
Banned
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
James, a CAE and a SAE are two completely different fish.

CAE = CHINESE Algae Eater

SAE = SIAMESE Algae Eater

My 30 gallon is a 36" tank. There's no way that I can get a latger tank, especially while I am living in this *lovely* apartment.

I have seen 2 fully grown SAEs. A guy in my local fish group has them, and they are huge! He has them in a 125 gallon.

·
Registered
842 Posts
SAEs will also get a taste for slime coat.

I had 3 true SAE in a thirty gallon that tourtured an huge mature angel to death in 12 hours sucking off his slime coat... It was like nothing i have ever seen before. I split them up and they are much better behaved.

Back to topic- I don't think you are overstocked at all. I wouldn't worry. If your SAEs get too big you'll know and you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have 2 SAE's in my 58. One is about 5" and the other about 3". Neither pay any attention to my Discs or any of the other fish. Interstingly enough, my 4" Yo-Yo sometimes snuggles up to the sides of my Discus and kind of "herds" them around. They seem annoyed by it, but show no signs of damage. It's almost as if he was playing with them.

Tommy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts