The Planted Tank Forum banner

How old are you?

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
These age demographics are always interesting. It's crazy how the internet brings brings such a wide variety if people together for a common interest.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Interesting! Should do a poll asking how long everyone has been in the hobby as well... You'd think that there would be more 40 and 50 year olds as they went through the huge aquarium rave.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Dam, I'm old enough to be your mama.......
so does that make you a mutha? :hihi:
It would be complete awesomeness if there were less than 10 year olds on here. Haha doubt there are though.
My 12yr old son has been helping me off and on since he was in diapers and now handles the Nikon 5100 better than I do taking tank pics does that count?
Interesting! Should do a poll asking how long everyone has been in the hobby as well... You'd think that there would be more 40 and 50 year olds as they went through the huge aquarium rave.
My aquarium 'rave' was seeing my first freshwater angelfish and my uncle Walt having an ugly dirty old tank with a single surviving Panda Cory older than I was.
I will be 29 in a month. :)
LOL young enough to still count forward. Little D when asked is 13 in 113 more day's. You'd think he was getting his drivers license. LOL
Hey guys,
Just wondering how old all you people who love the hobby just as much as I do are.
Hopefully we can discover new hobbyists that are around the same age as ou are and you can relate and make new friends!!

And please be honest. :)
OK, I'm honest enough that I'm not allowed to be completely honest on this site,,, you're a trouble maker posting this LOL I'm 51.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I'll PM Granny and get this thing rollin :hihi:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'll PM Granny and get this thing rollin
Got your smarty pants on today, huh? Well ... I'm easily old enough to be YOUR mother wkndracer, and your older brother's also, if you have one ;)

I lived on a lake when I was a wee one. I was always fascinated by what I found in the water along the edges and the little creek that fed the lake. I'd get one of mom's canning jars, get some of the bottom sludge soil and some water, find a plant that fit, catch some little critters (bugs, a minnow, a baby Bluegill, tadpoles, and if I was really lucky a tiny baby water snake! or whatever I could find) and spend hours watching what was happening in there. Mom always seemed to know when I needed to go get fresh lake water and change out the old water, and when it was time to turn all my treasures back into the lake so they could live long and prosper, and I'd start a new one.

Probably around 1946, or so, my dad gave me a one-gallon pickle jar he got from the cafeteria where he worked (to keep me from borrowing mom's canning jars) and it became my new aquarium, although I didn't know that word at the time. He also got me a microscope out of the Sears Roebuck catalog so I could get up close and personal with the things I couldn't see otherwise in my little lake. It was wonderful! When my sons came along, they did this also and loved it as much as I did.

In the early 60s I got a real 5-gallon aquarium with a light and heater, a new on the market HOB, and a Silent Giant air pump (which still works just fine BTW), and I gave up on my gallon jar with real creek critters. I started with Guppies and still love those little guys. With a few interruptions I've had aquariums ever since. Moving would sometimes delay tank set up for a few months, In '76 I lost everything because of the blizzard and having no electricity for over a week. It broke my heart to not be able to keep it warm enough for the fish to survive, and I surely did try.

I now have 55-gal and a 75-gal tanks with all the goodies. I still love them, but I can't say I like them any more than I did that one gallon jar with a mini lake in it.

And I quit! This has turned into a novel - Ha! Thanks for the memories. Oh, one more thing - Anyone want to take a guess at what two of my grandkids, my 96-year-old mom, and I did this spring? :)

1 - 20 of 176 Posts