The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Alot of people just do it when they notice the flow starting to slow down. Usually I do mine about once every 2 - 3 months. Depends if I get a WC day that I have a little extra time.

·
Registered
496 Posts
every two weeks for me
i dont want all that much organics rotting in my water stream
i have a system down ,take five minutes
adverse effects......5 min of time
positive effects...... cleaner water less dissolved organics

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I find that if you change the top 'fine particulate' pad or filler more often the flow does not decrease and the time between a major flush could probably go much longer depending on your bioload.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have too much bioload, and I don't see there is a decrease in flow, and I am a little lazy, so I guess cleaning it once a year isn't too bad after all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've found that in the long run a sponge filter over the cannister's intake cuts down on maintenance considerably. This usually enables me to run just the micron filter instead of a full media pack in the Magnum 350s.

But I have heavily planted tanks and not much need for bio filtering. The effect while using a sponged intake is the same if you just want to keep bio media in the canister as well, though...

·
Registered
86 Posts
FX5 with polishing pads after running 5 months without servicing

After 1 year non stop use
http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss270/CWO4GUNNER_G/THE%20FX5/FX5dirt120004.jpg[/img

Polishing media should never be used in the tiny surface-area center basket, only on the huge surface-area circumference sponges

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've just asked the same question somewhere here and I got an answer but I don't think that all these answers are very precise.
Don't you think that every one has diffrent sized tanks, different size and type of canisters, fertilization methods, number of fish, plants...etc.So how should I now when to clean my canister?
Say, I have 100l tank and I use fluval 204 (couple of years old) densely planted tank 7 rasboras and 4 ghost shrimps, EI system of fertilization and I clean my canister every 1-1.5 month.So whats your recommendation.M I doing wright should I clean it more often or less?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've just asked the same question somewhere here and I got an answer but I don't think that all these answers are very precise.
Don't you think that every one has diffrent sized tanks, different size and type of canisters, fertilization methods, number of fish, plants...etc.So how should I now when to clean my canister?
Say, I have 100l tank and I use fluval 204 (couple of years old) densely planted tank 7 rasboras and 4 ghost shrimps, EI system of fertilization and I clean my canister every 1-1.5 month.So whats your recommendation.M I doing wright should I clean it more often or less?
John,
That’s true.
But the question was not about those things, it was about how often our canisters were cleaned.
The size of the canister is usually determined by those factors.
Charles

·
Registered
57 Posts
The "eyes" have it all over here. As in, "What do your eyes tell you?"

Not only do individual tank conditions vary greatly, but individual preferences do as well. Not to put too fine a point on the problem, but asking how often to clean a filter is akin to asking how often one should mop their floors, or clean the soap scum from their shower stalls.

There exists situations in real life that just cannot be pinpointed with seven-digit accuracy, and it's an OCD problem to try and do so...

·
Registered
508 Posts
My fahaka tank filter (Fluval 404) get new filter floss every 2 or 3 months. I clean the intake and return pipes once a month though, because they are that horrible ribbed line.

My 25 gallon is planted, and I have a prefilter on the intake so it only gets cracked open and cleaned... well, it hasnt yet. The tank is only 9 weeks old and I havent cleaned the filter yet.

My reef systems get cleaned a little more often. But they are sumps, and I just do spot cleaning here and there when needed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.