The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've had a 4g tank with 4 amanos for several months now but added some bumblebees and cherries recently (11 shrimp total now)...i've been feeding amanos once a week with crab cuisine (3-4 pellets) and they seemed fine...but i was wondering if with the addition of new shrimp i should feed them more often...what would you guys suggest? also, is weekly water changes enough for this bioload?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I usually feed my cherries and bumblebees daily but it varies for each hobbyist. You also don't want to leave food in there for over a day unless you have snails to help clean up.

About the water changes, it will depend on your filtration system. I have a canister filter on my CRS tank so once a week is good. While I have to do more frequent changes with my cherry tank since I only have sponge filters.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i do have snails in there to eat the leftovers and as far as filtration goes, it isnt much: it's a nano filter with a small sponge inside. so if i give these guys a couple of pellets a day (or is it too often), would weekly water changes be enough? the tank is full of babytears and mosses btw.
thank you :)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I would start small with 1 or 2 pellets a day depending on how fast it gets eaten and then adjust from there. You will get a feeling about how much and what to do after a few days:D

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have cherries in my 10 gallon and feed them once a day. A nice piece of Cristen's Shrimp Cookies. Make sure though that you do not put too much in there at all.

I would first start of with a very very small piece of food, just to see how fast they eat it. Keep bumping it up until you get a feel for what they are able to eat in about an hour. My cherries are horses and can eat a lot real fast, but that only happened once they got acclimated and felt very comfortable in the tank.

-Ryan

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok i ll try to feed them daily with small portions..the problem is that when i put one pellet in there, one of the amanos would grab it and run away into the moss with it not letting any other shrimp eat..but, i'll try breaking it into smaller pieces and see how it goes...thank you guys :)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Am I the only one who will feed one big portion to last a few days??

I wouldn't recomend this to anyone unless they have a larger tank like me...

-Andrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts