The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon I will have a spare 10 gallon laying around. Since my dutch tank is so shallow, I have to trim the stems quite often. It seems like a shame to throw my trimmings away, and eventually I want to start another high tech using my stem cuttings, so I had the bright idea that I'd like to make a mini farm tank for my favorite plants. I'm going to run a canister, co2, and twinstar light on it. It will not have any livestock whatsoever, but will have fresh UNS contrasoil. I'll cycle the soil in the tank for 2 weeks until the inital ammonia leech is gone and then add trimmings to the tank here and there. How often should I do water changes on this tank, if at all if I'm doing top offs? I will be dosing APT complete per the bottle instructions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Plants still make organic waste, depending on light intensity it can be more or less. So yes you still need to make water changes. Frenquency will depend on the setup if you go high light c02 you will need more water change than if you go no co2 low light tank.

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not too terribly worried about algae. I don't advocate the use of algaecides but since this tank will have no livestock I can nuke it with api algaefix or dose it weekly per the bottle instructions to avoid the issue and keep the plants clean until they are ready for use. I will be conducting water changes but not looking to do them weekly. This will more or less be an experimental thing for me, I don't plan on selling the plants just keeping them for my future uses since a lot of the plants in my dutch tank are rather expensive. It would be really nice to already have healthy grown plants ready to go when I get the itch to set up a new tank. I plan on putting rotala blood red, macandra butterfly, hra in there and bacopa salzmanii and hygrophila chai. Any time I see some plants I may want in the future for sale on the classifieds from another hobbyist I can also buy them and grow them in there which will make for a nice QT tank since I found out I introduced spiro to my tank from another hobbyists clippings.

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update on this, I pulled the trigger on my mini plant nursery and will be setting it up this week since it's almost time to trim the rotala blood red and I really want to keep those. I was nearly tearing up having to throw away some really nice ludwigia super red and rotala yarabje tops. Even my mayaca fluviatilis is getting pinkish purple at the very top which I wasn't aware it did and I have to cut that back weekly. I'm going to run my twinstar 450e on it with a small canister and contrasoil. I'm going to do my best to resist temptation of stocking it with fish or shrimp once it's cycled since I want to be able to crank the co2 and add alfaefix whenever I need to. My plan is to start it off with weekly 50% water changes and then eventually taper off to 25 or 50% bi weekly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts