The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:roll:
This may be a redundant question however I am not sure.

My 1 gallon nano tank has a Fancy guppy, two pygmy cories, a java fern (doing well) , some hornwort (growing like a weed), and dwarf sagiteria (accidental but not doing really well at all, not enough light I think) and MTSes. It has a UGF, and I do water changes twice a week. Here is the Current feeding schedule.
M-F, gets fed in the morning about 3 flakes of food, and half of a shrimp pellet.
Sat and Sunday nothing.
I notice that the shrimp pellet (gets broken in half before i drop in the tank so only in small 1/4 size pieces) doesn't go away very fast and the cories and the guppy tend to graze on it as well as some of the malasian trumpet snails always seem to claim one for their own. The flake that doesn't quite make it gets caught up in the hornwort (Started as one strand 6 weeks ago and now it is about 6 strands).

As I have stated before I am used to reef tanks and they get fed maybe every other day but the nitrate requirement are somewhat more stringent than on freshwater. I have never gotten more than a 30 ppm nitrate reading from this tank so I have never decided to remove the uneaten shrimp pellet, even though I pull out the uneaten flakes that get caught in the hornwort on a daily basis. Still no algaes but I am wondering if I am starving the fish.

Ray

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe you should try some freeze dried food, tubifex worms or dried daphnia for example. My fish have a frenzy when I feed them the previously living food, so maybe your fish would make more of an effort to begin with, so they wouldn't be leaving food around for you to worry about.

Hornwort is an invasive weed, that's why it grows so well, it's also outlawed in a few states ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They actually eat very well, it is just that the cories don't go all the way to the top and the guppy seems content to just go after the shrimp pellet and/or the flake that falls. I have been feeding once a week Baby brine Shrimp and one day frozen blood worms. They seem to like it but the Baby brine shrimp seems to cloud the water. I have stepped up how much water I change, from about 50 percent to more like 80 percent and they seem to be faring better.

Ray

1 - 3 of 3 Posts