The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 17g I have 8 rasboras and one big fat female guppy along with her 20 juvenile babies. I have been feeding twice a day with a good amount, checked the nitrates and whoa! It's at 40ppm. I did emergency 50% water change, I normally do 30% twice a week. Now to my question, you think once a day feeding will do, or twice a day but very little, Which is better?
I'll just wait for the baby guppies to grow up a bit and I'll take the female to petco.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I usually feed just enough every 2-3 days. Don't know is that's right or wrong but it's worked for me so far. Fish are way more active on this schedule.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I overfeed by quite a bit. My fish are very reclusive and I tend to overdo it most of the time, attempting to make sure they see it. 2x daily.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
flake or pellet every couples days, frozen every couple days.

my fish tend to go a few days between feedings, sometimes a week... which reminds me, i need to feed the fish in the 12g...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I feed my fish every morning at 6:00am. I mix frozen shrimp, frozen bloodworms and flakes in a bowl and stir it up with some aquarium water and serve it up with a turkey baster. I just cap the bowl and put it in the fridge and serve the leftovers the next day.
My 5 barbs eat half a baster serving before it hits the bottom. The rest lands in plants and on the bottom. That's for my 8 Cory cats. I do the baster serving 3 times.
I may be over feeding. But I love feeding time as much as the fish do.
But also, I have a 65gal canister filter on a 20 long tank and do two 25% wc weekly. The filter could have a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I feed about 5 evenings per week. Rarely go two days in a row without, but often will choose to skip a day.

I have guppies, betta, and corys.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it sounds like I'm way overfeeding. I usually don't feed this much, the guppies just eat so fast and a lot. The food barely touch the water and it's quickly eaten, I don't even follow the two minute rule. I forgot, there are also over 100+ cherry shrimp with babies. I'll start to feed once a day and try to skip a day of no feeding, they're not going to like that.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I feed as needed and keep an eye on stomachs for ques if over or under feeding.
I don't have the fish you do, but I feed my active betta male x2 a day (hes not fat and still forages), my otos x2 a week with a zuchini slice (betta will eat some with them.. honest, I have photo proof), large leopard sailfin pleco 1x a night with large chunk of zuchini (or lettuce) and an algae wafer, Madagascar rainbowfish.. technically 2x a day flakes for lunch ad a crumb of algae wafer at night (most but not all nights),shrimp about every other day with tiny sprinkle of algae wafer (still getting feeding amount/times down don't want to over feed can't see bellies to tell easily).

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
In my 17g I have 8 rasboras and one big fat female guppy along with her 20 juvenile babies. I have been feeding twice a day with a good amount, checked the nitrates and whoa! It's at 40ppm. I did emergency 50% water change, I normally do 30% twice a week. Now to my question, you think once a day feeding will do, or twice a day but very little, Which is better?
I'll just wait for the baby guppies to grow up a bit and I'll take the female to petco.
i feed once every 2-3 days.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My tank is in the office, so I feed once daily M-F.

My dwarf gourami is literally ALWAYS eating though. When there is no food in the tank he is constantly foraging for algae and any other plant matter he can fit in his mouth. He leaves piles of bright green veggie-turds all over the aquarium non-stop. They fill the substrate, they collect in the marimos, and they are delicately draped over all the anubias leaves. I have to shake all the plants out before I vacuum the substrate.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I feed my Red Texas cichlid twice a day because he's a juvenile, but as he grows into an adult I'll drop it down to once a day.

·
Registered
572 Posts
For the babies twice a day is fine, I feed all my fish twice a day. I have a baby 10 gallon that I feed 4 times a day but I have a lot of babies in there right now there are probably 50 L144 plecos 20 venezualan cory's and 150 or more Taiwan super reds. 50% water changes every other day with gravel vac

Your keeping an eye on your nitrates so no worries if they were at 40 the last time you checked then your probably got a little bit carried away with feeding, just keep that in mind and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the tank is 8 months old and running good, maintain 5pp nitrates. Only when I got the guppies I started feeding heavy, guppies eat like there's no tomorrow, especially the females. Also, the tank is in my bedroom, they constantly watch me and beg for food, and of course like most, we end up dropping food. That's going to change starting today, just don't make eye contact lol! My lights ar only on for 5 hours, keep algae at bay, and the fish calm down a bit when lights are off, they still get little indirect sunlight after lights off. I don't mind doing water changes, I want my fish to be happy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts