The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I do a 50% WC/ferts once a week using EI method.
I find that if I don’t change at least half, the algae takes hold.
I also clean my filters once a month for the same reason.
Charles

·
Registered
56 Posts
I do 30% wc once a week on Monday's (ie kids are in school lol) and use root tabs for ferts once a month. Mine is not heavily planted....yet hehehe

Oh yea, and I have a 40 gal and a 10 gal

·
Registered
98 Posts
WC 30% once a week

Dry Dosing NPK + Macros twice a week

Seachem Flourish twice a week

Looking at aquarium 24 hours per day.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I used to do a 25-30% WC every two weeks or every month. Lugging 5 gallon buckets for a 55 gallon tank was a major pain, it deterred me from wanting to do it.

Now I do weekly or biweekly WC about 50%. I've got a garden hose adapter on the kitchen sink and a 50 foot hose. I siphon the tank water out the window into the flower box. Don't worry, my siphon hose has a fine net on the end that goes in the tank.

As for ferts, I just started dry dosing this week. I have been using root tabs for about 5-6 months, I bury more when growth seems to stall.

·
Registered
885 Posts
36 gallon bow front here heavily planted I do 30% water changes weekly and stopped dosing a few weeks back when I added new substrate that contained fertilizers.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
40g hex, looks heavily planted cause of one HUGE sword that takes up at least 1/2 of the tank and alot of big java ferns glued onto the decor. I do wc every other week (sometimes 3 weeks) and never dose anything.

·
Registered
993 Posts
64ish gallon tank.

50+% water change every 6 days. (I did some rough math, it's more like 60+% when substrate and hardscape are taken into account)

Dose GH booster after water change.

Dose potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate every other day.

No consistent micro/trace dosing at the moment - as I have yet to see a noticeable improvement with it.

If I notice any problems or need to correct my dosing, I do two 50+% water changes in a row. If my rough math is correct, and I'm actually doing a 60% water change, two consecutive WC's is theoretically changing 84% of the water.

·
Registered
871 Posts
For my 40 breeder, I do 15% water changes each week. I mix the water (about 5 gallons) and let it sit for a week. Currently, I use the following concoction:

-- 5 gallons tap water (KH 0-1, GH 2-3)
-- 5 mL API Tap Water Conditioner
-- 1 1/2 tsp Instant Ocean Sea Buffer (sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, sodium(?) borate)
-- 1/2 tsp calcium carbonate (powdered)
-- 1 tsp epsom salt (magnisium sulfate)
-- 1/2 tsp calcium chloride
-- 1/2 tsp gypsum (calcium sulfate)
-- 3/4 tsp Instant Ocean Sea Salt

This gives me a KH of around 3-4 and a GH of around 11 in the tank. I also have a Ca level of about 60 ppm. Phosphates are around 4 pmm (probably from fish food -- I feed a lot of food to a lot of fat fish).

I'm going to start adding some potassium nitrate because my nitrate is currently 0 ppm.

After the water change, I dose with 20 mL of LeafZone and 5 mL Flourish (one per week). I also add 5 mL of Flourish Excel daily and recently added a DIY CO2 reactor connected to the Nutrafin CO2 generator.

I'm thinking of increasing KH a bit because, although I get KH up to 3-4 after the water change, it is back down to 0-1 before the next weekly change.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I change about 50% of the water weekly in a 180 gallon tank. The tank is dosed with either macros or micros daily and I notice big improvements when I do so. The tank water is used on the garden plants, not wasted. No way am I carrying that many buckets, I use a Python hose that is about 11 years old.

·
Registered
742 Posts
i drain mine to the lawn as well

thinking of setting up an irrigation system and planting a garden next year just b/c
...i guess its not necessarily wasted if its repurposed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts