The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you clean the impellers?

I bought two 2236's and a 2217 in early October this year and haven't cleaned the imperllers. Should I clean them when I clean my filters (once a month)? Or, as long as the filters are quiet and working fine, should I not be bothered?

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
How often do you clean the impellers?

I bought two 2236's and a 2217 in early October this year and haven't cleaned the imperllers. Should I clean them when I clean my filters (once a month)? Or, as long as the filters are quiet and working fine, should I not be bothered?
You clean your Eheims once a month? Mind if I ask why?

Eheims are designed to go longer periods of time between cleanings. They actually do a better job the longer you go.

I clean my Eheims only when there is a noticable decrease in the flow. On average I break them down twice a yr, sometimes 3 times.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You clean your Eheims once a month? Mind if I ask why?
Hmm...good question. I bought my first canister filters recently and since I cleaned my power filter once a month, I thought I'd need to clean my canister filters once a month. It's good to know that I can clean them only a few times a year!

stupid question...but how do you clean the impellers?
I have the same question. Eheim manuals don't give any info about how to clean the impellers.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
I take the impellers out gently (careful, they are magnetic!) and then take out the shaft carefully as well.

I then give both of them a good dunking to get rid of any debris, and then some light (careful!) scrubbing with a toothbrush before I replace the drive shaft (carefully!) along with the impeller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.