The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I am having issues with getting Dwarf Hair Grass to stay alive. I'm trying to create a lawn like patch in the tank an about 6 weeks ago got some tissue cultured DHG ever since planting it as slowly proceeded to die.

Tank: Spec V 5.5Gallons
Light: Finnex Stingray on timer 3h on, 4h off and 4h on total is 7 hours
Dosing:
Flourish .5ml every week
Excel .5ml almost every day
Root tabs under the grass as well

What am I missing? All the other plants seem to be doing fine Java Fern, Anubis, Hornwart, Cardinal Plant. I have been having issues with Diatom and I think Green Hair Algae, one of the reasons i started using Excel.

Can any of you plant Guru/Gods help?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm no guru, but had my share with DHG. First, if it's tissue cultured it means it's adjusting to being submersed. Second, you're not dosing any macros, just Flourish once a week is not enough. Third, without CO2 and with Excel only it's going to be very slow process of adjusting and then spreading new growth (considering you have all the rest in check).
Also as far as I remember Excel will melt Hornwort. And 5ml daily for 5.5gallon is way too much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whoops I meant .5ml for both florish and excel. Would you recommend trying another plant instead of the Hairgrass? Thanks for the tip with excel and Hornwort it would explain why it's melting

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I agree with Burito. Add some N and P to the water. Hornwort will most likely outcompete the other plants for these nutrients (more so if there are very low).

After the plant has adjusted you might obtain your desired result. If want to replace it Marsilea sp. might be a good option.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was able to carpet hairgrass with just excel as carbon source, but it took like 6+ months. For fast and very nice carpet you could put Riccia under a mosquito mesh and tie it to a piece of slate or something flat so it can be easily removed and trimmed. It doesnt't need ferts, but can be messy if you let it float around. And also it doesn't like Excel.

·
Registered
498 Posts
CO2 is very important. I've always failed at dwarf hair grass. I'm trying the dry start method, and for the first time ever, I'm making progress. The DHG that I planted without spreading every strand, melted, but the new grass that grew from it continue to thrive. I don't even spray water on my DHG anymore. I just keep the gravel wet by pouring water in. My DHG is dry on top, but wet on the bottom. Every strand needs to be exposed to CO2. (Come to think of it, maybe I should start combing mine). The only thing I have is Flora Max gravel, osmocote and Miracle Gro potting mix. Maybe your soil/gravel already has Nitrogen, phosphate and potassium. Mine has phosphate, potassium, magnesium, and iron. I would at least do DIY CO2 until you can get pressurized CO2.

·
Registered
782 Posts
At what stage did your DHG melt?

I am experimenting with some too, planted last week. So far so good, and my tank has no CO2, but it is stocked very heavily with fish (overstocked, technically, with about 20 guppies in 10gal, but its heavily planted and well aerated), and I used pretty small plugs.

I'm curious about the dry method you are using. I'm just starting my 60gal, setting up hardscape, no plants in yet, and want to do a bunch of DHG all over the bottom. Does that method speed the process, or just ease in the plants during initial establishment to allow them to root without rotting?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.